• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Doe struggling in pregnancy

milton

New Kit
Hi All,

My first thread so be gentle please.
I have a pregnant rabbit doe who was at 31 days yesterday and started bleeding and appearing to push. We thought that we would wake up to some lovely kits but there seems to be nothing. My doe does stilll seem to be pushing, and on quick inspection of her bottom half it apear to still be bleeding but only a small amount. it just looks like a large pile (sorry for the terminology),

Are the kits stuck? and do we need a vet?

Thanks.
Gary

Hi, welcome to the forum :wave:

I'm sorry your doe is struggling,I'm afraid I have no experience in pregnancy etc so not sure if it's normal, but my gut instinct is take her to the vet. Perhaps you could give them a call and ask their opinion?

I hope she's ok :(

Hi All,

My first thread so be gentle please.
I have a pregnant rabbit doe who was at 31 days yesterday and started bleeding and appearing to push. We thought that we would wake up to some lovely kits but there seems to be nothing. My doe does stilll seem to be pushing, and on quick inspection of her bottom half it apear to still be bleeding but only a small amount. it just looks like a large pile (sorry for the terminology),

Are the kits stuck? and do we need a vet?

Thanks.
Gary

Yes, you definitely need to get her to a Vet as a matter of urgency, she may be at risk of rupturing her uterus which would almost certainly be fatal to both her and the kits.

Please do not delay and get her to a Vet now

Good luck

Yes you need a vet.
Rabbits deliver very quickly so in this case clearly something is wrong, very wrong.
Hope to hear what happens next and good luck

Yes you must get her to a vet immediately. When a foster bun had 8 kits it was all over in 30 minutes.

Yep, there is DEFINITELY something VERY WRONG there - you need to get her to the vet or emergency vet NOW. It is an emergency.

Hi All,

Thank you very much for all your advice. You have all been very kind.

We rang the emergency vet and took her straight away.

The vet originally tried to induce the labour, as the rabbits were not stuck, but just not moving down.
Anyway long story short she had a cesarian, where all 4 kits were found to had died. Most likely a couple days ago as they had caused an infection in the uterus, not that we would have known an=s baring the bleeding yesterday she seemed absolutely fine. :(

Despite the £600 vet bill, the doe is doing ok and should be able to come home tonight.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Gary

Unfortunately those things happen, no one is to blame, it's just nature.
Please keep a close eye on the unfortunate mum.

Glad she is okay and well done for taking prompt action and getting her to the vet - she would have died if you hadn't.

Has she been spayed then?

oh god poor thing!!! how terrible but im glad shes ok now, id keep an eye on her tho cos she mite go into stasis from all the shock. also if i wer u id get sum little teddy bears or any furry toys and give them to her for a bit to help her with the psychological trauma of loosing the litter.
my mummy bun Maisy is currently separated from her babies (the boys hav been neutered but im waiting for their hormones to die down before reintroducing them to avoid fights) and she misses them terribly, she loves to groom her little bunny toys i got her :love: just keep an eye on the toys as well in case shes eating them cos that can clog her gut. Maisy eats some toys but grooms and loves others so its just trial nd error.
good luck nd hope ur bun heals well xxx

Glad she is okay and well done for taking prompt action and getting her to the vet - she would have died if you hadn't.

Has she been spayed then?

I think she would have, as in order to get babies out the uterine horn would have had to have been cut?
Which would mean she wouldn't be able to have anyote babies.
Might be talking rubbish though.
So sorry to hear about the babies, and hope mum will be ok xxxx

Hi All,

Thanks again for your kind comments, i thought i would just end by saying that, after speaking with the vet we were told to collect her in a couple hours. In this time however the mum took a turn for the worse, and went down hill very quickly. The vet says that it was a combination of the infection, anesthetic and the pregnancy.

Sadly Olive passed away this evening. :'(

Thank you again for all of your quick responses and kind messages, for someone so new to these boards.

Gary x

I'm so sorry for your loss :( unfortunately there is always a risk when breeding.

Do you have any other rabbits? Even if not, feel free to stick around for some support. x

Back