• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stretched out rabbit?

katie2000

Alpha Buck
I've gone in the outhouse to find blackie stretched out and looking like she can't get comfy :?

She keeps laying flat and pushing out her back legs as if she can't find a comfy spot.

No hunching or teeth grinding but she doesn't have an appetite :(

Does this sound like stasis? I've never experienced a rabbit stretching out like this when ill..

Any ideas??

Yes it sounds like tummy pressing which they do when they're in abdominal pain.

Do you have any idea how long she's been like that? :wave:

She was eating absolutely fine this morning. It was just when I went to do the evening clean out that I noticed she wasn't herself.

I thought it might've been a balance problem initially as she keeps rolling over in a flop but she is walking totally fine which makes me think it must be tummy trouble

Poor blackie..I've got no idea what's set this off :cry:

Fiver tummy presses if he's gassy which he sometimes gets if he eats too much greens but some bramble leaves usually persuade him to eat and get things going again.

Fiver tummy presses if he's gassy which he sometimes gets if he eats too much greens but some bramble leaves usually persuade him to eat and get things going again.

Can they get gas without greens? I only gave them dried herbs and weeds last night I've put fresh greens in tonight which she won't eat

I don't know to be honest, I'm sure someone else will though.

Have you tried her on anything other than greens tonight? Can you get some herbs or anything to tempt her?

Buster was like that the other night, i gave him a tummy massage and he ate something and was totally fine after. Try giving him a tummy massage you can google how to do it xx

Have you got any Infacol or can you get any, as I always keep this in and although it is for babies with wind, colic, it is excellent for treating rabbits as well. To be honest I can't remember what the dosage is at the moment, but you give more initially and then I think it is hourly for so many hours. I remember my vet saying that cuddles, tummy massages and keeping bunny warm are really important and aid a much faster recovery. There is an excellent video on You Tube of how to give a tummy massage, and stretch the hind legs carefully out, and I am sure it said to go from the chest down to the tail, and massage in the direction you want to shift the gas. Do you know I'm sure it was 1ml and then 10mins later another 1ml and then hourly, but I would try and find out from somebody else, because I'm not a 100% sure on that, in fact I am going to check it again now. Hope your bunny begins to feel better soon.

Buster was like that the other night, i gave him a tummy massage and he ate something and was totally fine after. Try giving him a tummy massage you can google how to do it xx

Tummy rubs have worked - phew!! Thank you.

She was back to normal last night before bed and completely fine this morning. What a nasty shock. I'll be keeping a close eye on her.

glad shes feeling better, but in case it happens again my remedy is 50-50 mix of water and pineapple juice, cheap and easily available. my vet recommended this wen maisy went into stasis after her spay, i syringe fed her 10ml or so morning and night and that worked like a charm! i think the acid in the juice is wot stimulates the gut, and until it works u kno shes had fluid and sugars. she quite liked the taste and took it easily i just used the syringe so i cud be sure how much shed taken. i put in her room a potted basil plant (her fav) and just left it there as a signal for wen she felt better. she nibbled at it just a little for a day or 2 nd then suddenly it went down to the ground nd i knew she had recovered lol!!!
sending lots of healthy bunny vibes :D
liv xx

glad shes feeling better, but in case it happens again my remedy is 50-50 mix of water and pineapple juice, cheap and easily available. my vet recommended this wen maisy went into stasis after her spay, i syringe fed her 10ml or so morning and night and that worked like a charm! i think the acid in the juice is wot stimulates the gut, and until it works u kno shes had fluid and sugars. she quite liked the taste and took it easily i just used the syringe so i cud be sure how much shed taken. i put in her room a potted basil plant (her fav) and just left it there as a signal for wen she felt better. she nibbled at it just a little for a day or 2 nd then suddenly it went down to the ground nd i knew she had recovered lol!!!
sending lots of healthy bunny vibes :D
liv xx

I would only recommend giving pineapple juice if there is a fur blockage or you suspect that the bun is having trouble passing fur through (ie if theyre moulting heavily.)

In the event of stasis pineapple juice could actually make it worse, as the sugars in it could upset the balance of the intestinal flora.

Syringing water is good advise though. I usually make some peppermint tea and give it to the bun when it has cooled down but still warm. This will help if there is any gas trapped in the gut, as well as keeping bun hydrated of course.

If it happens again you might also want to try giving your bun gentle tummy massages and keep her moving around to keep things moving. If she gets cold it's VERY important to keep her warm.

I'm glad she's feeling better today :wave:

What does a tummy press look like? Just for future reference if needed :thumb:

Normally they press their tummy and back end down into the floor and just look generally uncomfortable. I was quite surprised to see blackie stretched out and pressing her tummy to the floor as I've never experienced this before, normally they hunch up and grind their teeth.

Later I found out that next door had been doing some building work in the garden so think this had stressed her out - poor thing.

What does a tummy press look like? Just for future reference if needed :thumb:

They quite often fidget a lot between stretching out with their tums pressed to the floor and hunching up. They look very uncomfortable, you'd know it if you see it :wave:

Back