• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hind leg amputation

HipHop13

New Kit
Hi there, I have a little Netherland Dwarf bunny who is just 12 months old and is the life and soul of the party lol. He has a fab temperament and outlook on life...BUT....my friends dog grabbed him when he was staying at their house. Friend is really upset and we took him to the vets who says there is nothing broken but that he probably has nerve damage. His lovely personality hasnt changed but he is dragging both legs behind him. He was given some anti inflammatories just in case that would help but tomorrow is D day for his long term prognosis.
Im not even sure if my vet will agree to it but has anyone ever heard of bunnies having their back legs removed..??? :?

If it is nerve damage then it is possible he could recover BUT it may take several weeks of treatment.

This would include non steroidal anti-inflammatories and intensive physiotherapy. Possibly acupuncture too.

How long ago was the accident ?

As to a Rabbit having BOTH hind legs amputated, personally I do not believe that to be ethical.

Agree 100% with Jane. Be prepared for several weeks, if not months, of physio and anti-inflamatories before deciding that he's not going to get any better. I had a bunny with a single hind limb amputation and she coped fine but as Jane has said, I don't think a double hind-limb amputuation would be ethical.

Just over a year ago, my cat had a hind leg removed after a freak accident.
he's doing so well, but both legs?? No, I don't think so.
So sorry for your bunny

If the issue is he's not moving his back end then amputating won't help. It's likely he's just end up putting pressure on delicate places and that would could more trouble. You really need 4-6 weeks to see if there is going to be improvement and during that time some gentle phsio to help the muscles.

Some people do keep bunnies with paralysed backends, but it does require a lot of nursing and you'd have to consider quality of life and whether that's right for your bunny.

I cant offer any advice but just wanted to say how sorry I am that this has occurred.

Thinking of you wee bun and hope the paralysis is temporary

Fee xx

http://pinterest.com/pin/513410426240531032/ The bunny in this video is a double amputee and seems quite happy. I found this on their website ( north Texas rabbit sanctuary )

Lily came to us with a broken back and had to have both back legs amputated. Lily needs to have her bladder expressed at least twice a day to prevent a urinary tract infection.

It does seem hard and expensive ( I don't think custom made, bunny sized wheelchairs come cheap ) but it is possible.

Back