• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rascal update, eating & pooping!!! :o)

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
........... or do I leave him outside with Dizzi??

Since we got back from the vets he has eaten some baby leaf salad and an apple stick and a teeny bit of hay.

Do I risk stressing him out more by separating him from Dizzi or do I leave them both outdoors together?? (according to the vet the point of bringing him in so that I can check if he has pooped and so that I can leave food out to tempt him ..... obviously I can't bring Dizzi in if that's the case).

He seems happy enough outdoors but vet said it 'might be an idea' to keep him indoors another night...... but I'm not convinced that this won't stress him even more!?

Any ideas??

thanks x

Last edited:
Is there any chance they could both come in but be kept "seperate"? When our girl goes into stasis we keep her in a pen in the kitchen with her wee man running free so they can still be together but it allows us to see how much Honey is eating and pooping. Our vet has a similar set up for when she's in there (but with a kennel and a dog crate).

Tricky one! If it was me I'd want to keep an eye on him so would probably bring him in. Is there a way of bringing them both in so they can see each other, but not actually together? I mean like 2 pens side by side or something? If not, and you just brought rascal in would you be staying in the same room as him? If so I would do that for peace of mind. X

Is he pooing ?

Yes he is, they're small but he's doing them ....not many, maybe 5 at a time but he keeps visiting the litter tray every now and then.

He's had injections again tonight at the vets, metacam, baytril, bunny zantac and something to 'get things moving'.

He's actually sat in the litter tray now eating bits of hay.....not like he normally would but its like he's trying to prove to us that he's tying bless him!

Tricky one! If it was me I'd want to keep an eye on him so would probably bring him in. Is there a way of bringing them both in so they can see each other, but not actually together? I mean like 2 pens side by side or something? If not, and you just brought rascal in would you be staying in the same room as him? If so I would do that for peace of mind. X

I do have a pen but if I put Dizzi in it and Rascal out of it, Dizzi would go mad ...she lifts it up with her nose and bangs it down on the floor ........ if I put Rascal in and left Dizzi free ranging I would literally have to stay awake ALLL night as she is a little monkey and would chew anything and everything.

I would sleep in the living room with him/them.

Well I brought Rascal in and stayed in the living room with him, he doesn't seem as bright as he did at this time yesterday but I've managed to get some infacol, some recovery food and some fibreplex down him this morning ......... he's just grooming off the excess now.

He's only done 3 tiny poops all night. I did see him eating a caecotroph but I haven't seem him drink any water so I made the recovery food up quite sloppy and syringed that in. I've also left him a bowl of wet salad leaves but he's so far ignoring them ..... there were about 5 or 6 pellets lying around which he must have eaten during the night when I dropped off!

But overall, he's still not happy. Will keep an eye on him over the next couple of hours and see how he does, if he's no better, back to the vet we go!!

Could this all really have come from a couple of mouthfulls of grass??

xx

So since the syringe feeding Rascal has eaten a couple of sage leaves, a couple of very small dandelion leaves and a couple of tiny pieces of dried pineapple ........ he's ignored the wet greens, the coriander, the rosemary (which he was eating a bit of y'day), the mint and the hay.

Is it good that he's at least getting something down? I have to go to work now but will hopefully get some time off to take him back to the vets if need be.

Please can someone advise?? There are some poops in the litter tray but as he's back in the run with Dizzi I don't know whose they are ..... Hopefully I can go into work explain and come straight home again so I can keep a proper eye on which bun i doing what.

thanks, Jo xx

Hi Jo you need to know the reason why he's like this, i don't want to worry you but he sounds like my Honey was. The vet needs to admit him i think to run some tests to find out what's going on. It is better to do this sooner rather than later, the longer he doesn't eat properly the worse he will get, and then if he needs surgery it will be more risky. The vet should put him on fluid therapy at least. Sending mega vibes xxx

You really need to take him back to the Vet.. We had this with Frasier. He seemed fine one minute, then went off his food. We were given some painkillers for him & told him to syringe feed him some recovery food. He was taking that pretty well & eating a tiny bit of hay & treats. Wouldn't touch his nuggets & stopped drinking. He did a few tiny little poops. By the time we had found a rabbit savvy Vet & got him proper treatment, it was too late. He passed away after only two days. With rabbits things can go downhill very quickly :(

Hi guys

I rang the vets this morning as soon as I got to work and they told me to take him back again.

When I went home to pick him up he seemed to have perked up a bit, where first thing he was quite lethargic, when I went back he was moving around more, he even ate some 'narna, a crunchie, a sprig of rosemary and some sage leaves .......... and sat in the litter tray and did poops! Small dry ones but about 25 of them ...... so I took them to the vets with me! :oops:

Vet said he still feels a little gassy but not dehydrated (he had subcutaneous fluids on Sunday and I've been making his recovery food quite runny to get some liquids into him). She gave him some more medicine, syringed him some more recovery food and as he'd perked up a bit she said she'd give him until tomorrow and if he is no better I'm to take him back and they'll admit him for further tests and to get him on a drip.

I've booked the day off tomorrow so I can keep an eye on him all day and properly assess whether he's improving or not! The fact that he did the poops made the vet think that he may just have turned a corner so will see how he goes.

Jo xx

How is Rascal now?

He's just having some time out in the garden (the tub that had the grass in has been binned). Our garden is paved and sometimes I sprinkle their pellets out there and they go round hoovering them up ...... Rascal seems to be going through the motions but when he gets to a pellet he doesn't eat it - its almost like he wants to eat something but doesn't know what!

Same when I go into the aviary with a rustling bag - he comes over to check out what I have but it just doesn't seem to be the right thing.

Have called into P@H and got some dandelion delight, some hay cookies, alfa-alfa cubes, blackberry leaves and apple sticks and their H4P order of T&R and Ings has arrived today too.

OH is fetching some fresh pineapple juice, some more herbs as we're running low, some apple, narna and strawberries to see if I can entice him with any of those!

He's not as lethargic as this morning but he's not bouncing with joy either .... just pottering!

ETA: Meant to say that Rascal gets mega stressed going to the vets, even for nail trims so I'm not sure if he's a bit quiet because of that too ...... he is petrified of me now, every time I go near him he runs a mile!! :(

Last edited:
He's just having some time out in the garden (the tub that had the grass in has been binned). Our garden is paved and sometimes I sprinkle their pellets out there and they go round hoovering them up ...... Rascal seems to be going through the motions but when he gets to a pellet he doesn't eat it - its almost like he wants to eat something but doesn't know what!

Same when I go into the aviary with a rustling bag - he comes over to check out what I have but it just doesn't seem to be the right thing.

Have called into P@H and got some dandelion delight, some hay cookies, alfa-alfa cubes, blackberry leaves and apple sticks and their H4P order of T&R and Ings has arrived today too.

OH is fetching some fresh pineapple juice, some more herbs as we're running low, some apple, narna and strawberries to see if I can entice him with any of those!

He's not as lethargic as this morning but he's not bouncing with joy either .... just pottering!

ETA: Meant to say that Rascal gets mega stressed going to the vets, even for nail trims so I'm not sure if he's a bit quiet because of that too ...... he is petrified of me now, every time I go near him he runs a mile!! :(

aww hun, its so terrible when they are not well, you think they think your the worse person on earth when all your trying to do is help them :cry:

Jims was exactly the same about 2am, running up to food but not eating it, I think its because they are hungry but because their tummy hurts they dont want to eat.
I am kind of mean I guess,cause I pester them to eat when not well by waving parsley in their face to annoy them then they snatch it away and start taking it lt :lol:

How is Rascal now?

aww hun, its so terrible when they are not well, you think they think your the worse person on earth when all your trying to do is help them :cry:

Jims was exactly the same about 2am, running up to food but not eating it, I think its because they are hungry but because their tummy hurts they dont want to eat.
I am kind of mean I guess,cause I pester them to eat when not well by waving parsley in their face to annoy them then they snatch it away and start taking it lt :lol:

Thanks, I'm so worried about him and now I'm beginning to doubt my vet for leaving his admission until tomorrow .... but he had perked up! I don't know what to do to make him better and its so upsetting.

I've been annoying him with herbs n all sorts but he just hops off.

How's Jimby now, has he continued to improve?? x

Thanks, I'm so worried about him and now I'm beginning to doubt my vet for leaving his admission until tomorrow .... but he had perked up! I don't know what to do to make him better and its so upsetting.

I've been annoying him with herbs n all sorts but he just hops off.

How's Jimby now, has he continued to improve?? x

I know its so worrying! I was really worried about Jims last night. This afternoon he went a bit backwards and started to tummy press and stop eating again but once again he has started picking again. We are going to medicate him at 7pm.

I think your Vet should have kept him in to keep him eating & drinking. Honestly, it's like I could have written this myself about Frasier! He perked up, he was hopping about quite happily, but refused food. I had to force feed him recovery food & managed to annoy him into eating some leaves from P@H (Blackcurrent or blackberry? It's an apple & blacksomething mix!), but it wasn't enough. Our non-rabbit savvy Vet also said Frasier wasn't dehydrated & because he had so much energy, that he was fine. When he was seen by the rabbit savvy Vet, it turned out that he was very dehydrated & in a lot of pain. The next day, he passed away.

I am not trying to frighten you, but if I knew back then what I know now, then I would have taken him straight to the rabbit savvy Vet! I wouldn't have trusted the other Vet, despite having no reason to not trust them! I would have pushed for more treatment.. The original Vet kept saying that he looked ok, energy was good, eyes were bright, no blockages, stomach was doughy (therefore not dehydrated.. According to rabbit savvy Vet, it is the other way around! Doughy = dehydrated!). The only thing he was right on was that Frasier's teeth were fine!

Please, take him back to the Vet or get a second opinion :(

Back