• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much water do rabbits need?

the bigger the better, some days are extra thirsty days! i have a bowl as well in case the bottle breaks/leaks and also it allows the bunnies to get a better drink as they can take bigger gulps :thumb:

I've got a 300ml one, but it's a good idea to get a spare just in case.

I'm clumsy I'm always dropping them. :(

the bigger the better, some days are extra thirsty days! i have a bowl as well in case the bottle breaks/leaks and also it allows the bunnies to get a better drink as they can take bigger gulps :thumb:

Mine dont drink much, is that normal??? x

How about getting a large sturdy bowl instead? I used to have bottles but found that when offered a bowl my buns much preferred it and drank more :)

Mine 2 pairs both have 2 600ml bottles each, I'm paranoid one might fail or start dripping and lose all the water, even though they never have! Apricot and Ginger my 2 6 month old girls drink a full bottle every day but they eat a lot more than my other pair. Dandy and Beano who are about 9 months the boys only drink about half a bottle a day. So it definately varies depending on the rabbit but bigger is better, I still empty and refill fresh water every day though.

Mine dont drink much, is that normal??? x

From a bottle? Bottles can be harder to drink from as its a lot of effort for not much water, so they have to sit there for a while.
All of mine have bowls and while they don't drink loads, they don't spend ages drinking because they're slurping it up z:) it's more natural for them to drink from a bowl :) For my outdoor pair I offer a bottle and a bowl.

Mine have the biggest bottle dont know how many millilitres, I have 2 one in the wash one in the hutch, also have a dog bowl and then in the garden theres a water feature that they prefer out of anything:evil:

From a bottle? Bottles can be harder to drink from as its a lot of effort for not much water, so they have to sit there for a while.
All of mine have bowls and while they don't drink loads, they don't spend ages drinking because they're slurping it up z:) it's more natural for them to drink from a bowl :) For my outdoor pair I offer a bottle and a bowl.

They had bottles at the rescue so when they came here I tried both and they wouldnt touch the bowl x

Get a 600 at least, should be fine for one rabbit, if you get a smaller one it's going to freeze a lot quicker in cold weather and there's a chance your rabbit might drink it all one day whilst you're out and be left without water (weather and food changes can make them suddenly change how much they drink) so yeah definitely get the bigger one :)

Last edited:
My bun has a bowl. She had a bottle but I was worried she wasn't drinking enough so I put her a bowl in. she seems to love dipping her front feet in it as well, normally just as I come to the cage and then she flicks it at me! I'm sure if rabbits could laugh mine would be in hysterics! x

What sort of bowls do you use for the water, I may try again x

Hi :wave:

I bought a dog feeding bowl as it was heavy enough not to get tipped over - its about half again size wise to the normal bunny feeding bowl. I also have a coop cup in the hutch that hooks through the bars and both buns prefer that to the bottle. I still have the bottle hooked above it in case they need it.

I give mine a heavy ceramic bowl. I have one pair a stainless steel dog bowl but the boy (Mottle) liked chucking it around! I will also get a load of big bottles for their outside run. So... bigger and more than one - a belt and braces approach.

mine have a massive dog bowl for their water. some days they don't drink much but other days they will clear the bowl! :shock:

i would get the biggest bottles they do personally :thumb:

Average is 50ml-100ml per kg a day.

I always buy the giant bunny bottles and provide a bowl aswell in summer as the definately drink more from a bowl easier when its hot.

Leo varies how much he drinks. Some days he might drink half a bottle, other days he hardly drinks at all.

Back