• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Meds for blocked caecum - anyone heard of this med?

Thumper98

Warren Scout
My little boy Leo stopped eating on Friday night so we rushed him to the vets Satrurday morning. Vet said he appeared to have a blocked caecum (not sure what caused it, could be the new litter we are using). He was given a medicine called Difalat to unblock his system and then a dose of parrafin.

He's now back to eating and chasing his sister around which is good. So id say hes recovering fine.

Has anyone heard of these meds though? Especially Difalat? The vet said we ought to remember the name of this med in case he has a blocked system again and we can ask for it at the emergency vets wherever that is.

Thanks! :wave:

I haven't heard of Difalat, but we might have a different brand name for it here. Google doesn't bring anything up in a search. Glad Leo is feeling better xx

Is there an unpronouncable "chemical" name on the preparation or can you find out from the vet?
If so, please can you post it. We'll probably find out more that way.

I had a bun with severe caecal issues but not impaction. These buns often eat large amounts of paper or cardboard which can cause a block.
We found a safer way round this if it's an issue.

I think its probably spelt Duphalac or dufalac. Most likely the former. I googled it and it appears to be some sort of laxative type medication used in humans! Not sure if its the same. Leo is fully recovered now so it must have worked.

I've only just noticed that you live in Switzerland. :oops:
There are differences in brand names fom country to country - in the UK it is called Duphalac.

We don't see caecal impaction very often on RU.
I wonder what caused it, & whther we can try to prevent it by simple means?

Yes i think its duphalac. I didnt find an animal version so maybe its the same they use on humans.

Well the vet said (translated) "problem with his transit" and says that she observed Leo becoming uncomfortable when she felt his caecum. That was how he was diagnosed. Vets in Switzerland are not rabbit savvy in general as vet school here teach treatment for cats, dogs and farm animals! My vet is supposed to be one of the more rabbit savvy vets and ive nevevr really had any complaints before.

If her diagnosis was accurate then my guess would be that the naughty bun ate some cardboard (hes got a little toilet roll tube as a toy), or that he ate some of his litter in his tray - its made from maize apparently and entirely compostable.

Does that sound reasonable?

Also, when i was researching the meds online, i found this website http://www.medirabbit.com/
I was so excited to know that the lady scientist who founded this site lives in my city! It seems to have a lot of info on it but i dont know if the medicine section is accurate and reliable.

If you have some advanced knowledge, id be most grateful for your thoughts on it!

Also, when i was researching the meds online, i found this website http://www.medirabbit.com/
I was so excited to know that the lady scientist who founded this site lives in my city! It seems to have a lot of info on it but i dont know if the medicine section is accurate and reliable.

If you have some advanced knowledge, id be most grateful for your thoughts on it!

Personally, I think it's an excellent site. Some of the authors are recognised world wide as at the top of their field.
I've only personal experience of lower gastrointestinal disorders/stasis, dental spurs, & snuffles.
I used the original Rees Davis book to try to understand rabbit GI tract physiology, especially the role of the caecum, & cortisol myself.
I feel that the main use of the site is to help us with diagnosis. Until we establish that, we can't expect any treatment to work!!

I once had a brilliant exotics vet. who discussed various aspects of these illnesses in rabbits with me. We could communicate rapidly, because although I try not to use medical jargon terms on RU, I'm fluent in that "language". I was fascinated by the very big differences (as well as the similarities) which presented specific problems in treating rabbits.The things she taught me concur with this site.

On RU, Jack's - Jane is outstanding in her knowledge of diagnosis & drugs. When I joined RU we lost rabbit after rabbit to stasis. Now by far the majority of rabbits survive thanks to Jane. I usually leave drugs to Jane.:lol:

My own interest has been trying to understand the "disease process" & suggest very simple additional methods which either improve the effectiveness of drugs or help to prevent the severity & frequency of relapse in these chronic conditions.

Hope that helps, both about the site & & our strengths on RU.

Personally, I think it's an excellent site. Some of the authors are recognised world wide as at the top of their field.
I've only personal experience of lower gastrointestinal disorders/stasis, dental spurs, & snuffles.
I used the original Rees Davis book to try to understand rabbit GI tract physiology, especially the role of the caecum, & cortisol myself.
I feel that the main use of the site is to help us with diagnosis. Until we establish that, we can't expect any treatment to work!!

I once had a brilliant exotics vet. who discussed various aspects of these illnesses in rabbits with me. We could communicate rapidly, because although I try not to use medical jargon terms on RU, I'm fluent in that "language". I was fascinated by the very big differences (as well as the similarities) which presented specific problems in treating rabbits.The things she taught me concur with this site.

On RU, Jack's - Jane is outstanding in her knowledge of diagnosis & drugs. When I joined RU we lost rabbit after rabbit to stasis. Now by far the majority of rabbits survive thanks to Jane. I usually leave drugs to Jane.:lol:

My own interest has been trying to understand the "disease process" & suggest very simple additional methods which either improve the effectiveness of drugs or help to prevent the severity & frequency of relapse in these chronic conditions.

Hope that helps, both about the site & & our strengths on RU.

Thanks very much Thumps! This was very helpful. :thumb::wave:

Back