• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay4pets or dustfree?

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
I usually buy meadow hay and timothy/rye from Hay4pets but was thinking about trying dustfree hay. How do they compare? I tend to get the 9.5kg for £16

My last batch of meadow hay had clumps of mud and moss in but guessing because that was the winter batch. It is normally nicer.

I've not had any Dust Free for a while because they'd run out of British stalky and had only got French stuff. It's not great - have found no end of acorn shells and bits of stick. The bunnies aren't that fussed either (although the piggies are loving it).

My last two orders have been for Timothy and Rye from Hay4Pets and it's been very good quality. Exceptionally long :shock: and stalky and going down a treat. It's also much cheaper than Dust Free.

I will go back to Dust Free in the summer after the next British hay harvest but I'll also continue to use H4P as it's better value.

Thank you, mine like the stalky from H4P so was thinking more of the meadow type hay from dustfree (what would be the equivalent?)

Thank you, mine like the stalky from H4P so was thinking more of the meadow type hay from dustfree (what would be the equivalent?)

Dust Free generally do either Stalky or Soft. Or else there's the American Timothy which is imported. DFH Stalky is equivalent to the H4P Timothy and Rye and DFH Soft is equivalent to the H4P Meadow. I've not had any DFH Soft for a long time so I can't give you much advice other than to say my bunnies only ever like the stalky varieties from either supplier.

There's always Willow Warren timothy hay as well, of course. It's expensive but superb quality. It's all frozen for 24 hours prior to despatch to ensure ALL mites are erradicated - I've been to the farm where it's grown and seen the freezers. The farmer sticks a whole bale into the freezer at a time and then after freezing, it's placed in a dehumidifying room to elminate any moisture before finally being boxed and posted out.

Dust Free generally do either Stalky or Soft. Or else there's the American Timothy which is imported. DFH Stalky is equivalent to the H4P Timothy and Rye and DFH Soft is equivalent to the H4P Meadow. I've not had any DFH Soft for a long time so I can't give you much advice other than to say my bunnies only ever like the stalky varieties from either supplier.

There's always Willow Warren timothy hay as well, of course. It's expensive but superb quality. It's all frozen for 24 hours prior to despatch to ensure ALL mites are erradicated - I've been to the farm where it's grown and seen the freezers. The farmer sticks a whole bale into the freezer at a time and then after freezing, it's placed in a dehumidifying room to elminate any moisture before finally being boxed and posted out.

You know I had never heard of this until last week, still learning new things. I might have a look at theirs too then. thank you.

hay for pets definitely. much better quality in my opinion. :wave:

i prefer hay for pets when it's ok, but i've had a few dodgy bales lately. dfh isn't as good but i might have to switch back.

i also use deans farm hay which is good but again, it doesn't work out good price wise unfortunately.

i would love to use willow warren again though so if you can afford it, go for that one :wave:

Been using DFH soft and my lot still go mad for it. It's not as nice smelling as last years but what can we expect after all that rain. It's still got lots of nice green in it though.x

Someone kindly sent us some hay 4 pets hay but it was awful. Full of dust and dirt :( The bunnies didn't eat it. I don't know what type it was there was no info on the packaging :?

Back