• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosie is plucking fur and we don't know why...

martlou

Warren Veteran
Hi

Rosie has plucked fur from her chest over the last couple of days and has made a bald patch (it's not a great photo but you should be able to see the bald bit). The skin underneath looks normal and healthy. She is estimated to be just over 6 years old and was spayed over 4 years ago. She is otherwise behaving normally - eating, drinking, pooping etc. She doesn't live in a hutch, she lives in half the dining room which is approx 10' x 5' and comes into the living room for a couple of hours for a run around.

Does anyone know why she might be doing this?

phantom pregnancy?
tabitha rabbit was pitiful when she did this. she only did it once after spaying, but before she had a few bouts. desperately trying to convince her brother to impregnate her, but he was plumless and didn't care.

Bless her. :( I don't really have experience or knowledge of girl rabbits to comment, but hopefully someone will be able to help.

Rosie is one of my favourite RU buns so I couldn't resist looking at the thread. :oops:

It could be hormonal

Was she unwell a while ago ?

Yes, she was in stasis this time last month. Could it be related? I must admit I thought spaying meant that does wouldn't have phantom pregnancies and was one of the reasons for doing it, but it looks like that's a misunderstanding on my part.

Yes, she was in stasis this time last month. Could it be related? I must admit I thought spaying meant that does wouldn't have phantom pregnancies and was one of the reasons for doing it, but it looks like that's a misunderstanding on my part.

It is unusual for a spayed Doe to have pseudopregnancies and in my experience it has always been indicative of a health problem. So personally I would consult your Vet about it.

Good luck :)

had another look at the pic and its higher than tabby's pullings. sometimes rabbits pull fur if they have nothing else to do, but that won't be the case with rosie. perhaps a pain she can't reach?

Honey used to pull her fur out a long time ago, in the month or so when she was separated from Olly while they were neutered. She made her back end entirely bald and her tail disappeared :( she was stressed and lonely I think. She was fine once they were back together. I hope Rosie is ok xxx

Honey used to pull her fur out a long time ago, in the month or so when she was separated from Olly while they were neutered. She made her back end entirely bald and her tail disappeared :( she was stressed and lonely I think. She was fine once they were back together. I hope Rosie is ok xxx

Thanks. Rosie and Ted did have to be separated after they fell out when Ted was sick last year. We tried really hard to rebond them but it didn't work and so now they have half the dining room each. The 'fence' is see through and 'smell through' so they sort of have each others company. Rosie is a really happy bunny, she's been racing round the living room this afternoon binkying all over the place. I hope she's not lonely :cry:

Marley has a patch on the inside of his left leg that seems really thin in hair, not necessarily a patch of hair. After his neuter all the hair gre back apart from that bit. The areas not got bigger or red or anything like that so I'm unsure whether its from before I acquired him or whether hes doing something to it. I hope you manage to find the source, shes a gorgeous bun!

Willow used to do this about once a year, usually around the time spring fever hit. I took her to the vet the first time but they couldn't find anything wrong with her. We don't think it was a pseudopregnancies as she didn't really display any other behaviour and the only thing we could think of was that it was a result of the surge of hormones they seem to get at that time of year.

Sorry, I ought to have come back to update this thread. Checked Rosie's bum as per Jane's suggestion but it was very clean, as normal. By the next day she seemed to have stopped doing it and now it's nicely growing back. So, I think it must be a spring fever thing!

Sorry, I ought to have come back to update this thread. Checked Rosie's bum as per Jane's suggestion but it was very clean, as normal. By the next day she seemed to have stopped doing it and now it's nicely growing back. So, I think it must be a spring fever thing!

Bless her! :love: Glad she has stopped her plucking.

Back