• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bad Skin

Elly

New Kit
Just taken Jasper for his bunny jabs for this year - he was good as gold!

But we did notice he has all of a sudden got really flakey skin! .. the vet said she couldn't treat it until next week as he'd just had his jabs and didn't want to over do it all in one day. But just for the next week does anyone have any tips and ideas for healthy skin? Just to see if I can give him a push in the right direction until next week .. she said it may even clear up it's self! ... He's on rabbit muesli at the minute. I'm thinking of maybe swapping it to pellets for a start?

x

Not sure about the skin, but just thought I'd mention that if you do decide to swap his food, do so very gradually. I'm all for an eggcupful of pellets, but I know some members still prefer muesli - I suppose much depends on the quality of the muesli and whether he eats it all up or feeds selectively which, of course, pellets prevent.

You just have to test what they will eat.My bridge bun Rio loved Pets at home baby rabbit pellets,when we moved to the adult version he wouldn't touch them.he ended up eating "Wagg" muesli the rest of his life(with plenty hay and forage) ,he lived to 8 years old.

Sounds like it could be mites - they live in low numbers naturally in buns but tend to multiply and cause that sort of flakiness when the bun's immune system is a bit low. So for instance because he is moulting, or because he is a little poorly, or because he needs a dental and isn't grooming properly. It's also possible that there might be large numbers in the bedding, as it's been so damp that if there is any extra moisture in the hay, for instance, it could have encouraged mites to multiply more than normal.

I assume that the vet gave him a good check over before vaccinating him, to ensure that he is in good health and his teeth are ok? Hopefully it will be something that clears up with the medicine she will give you next week, but please do make sure that he has a really good check over as like I say, mites often crop up as a sign that bunny isn't in the best of health.

Fingers crossed all is ok xx

Thank you so much for that.

Yes she said it would most probably be that. She checked him over yes and I haven't noticed any changes apart from the molting so I have a feeling it is that! .... I think I will get her to double check his teeth again next week when I take him back but he's eating fine and always has things to chew on .... But I still over worry!

His bedding is changed every day so hoping its nothing I've done!

Will it be a one off does of medication or an everyday thing?

Thanks so much for the info! X

Back