• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Positive Test Result for E. Cuniculi but no symptoms

Hi everyone,

I adopted my bun from a bunny shelter a few months ago. She is now 1 years old. I had her blood tested for E. Cuniculi this week, and the test came back positive. She, however, has not shown any symptoms at all. She eats her veggies, her digestion is normal, and her behavior also appears normal.

My vet wants to treat her with 3 antibiotics in an attempt to fight off the parasite. Does anyone have experience or any advice about giving these medications to a bunny who is not yet presenting any symptoms?

I am nervous that the meds will be detrimental to her, especially if she was never going to develop parasitic symptoms in the future. She is a mixed lop (exact breed unknown).

Thank you so much in advance!

Are you sure the blood test did not simply indicate evidence of exposure to EC (over 50% of Rabbits will show this) rather than an active infection ?

Antibiotics wont treat EC anyway, treatment would include Fenbendazole and a non steroidal anti-inflammatory

Antibiotics would only be needed to address a secondary bacterial infection, not EC itself

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...N3ISKU&sig=AHIEtbR1V0Bkgl46nxoM3IZVX7iM5Uaz_Q

Personally I would seek a second opinion from another Vet

Are you sure the blood test did not simply indicate evidence of exposure to EC (over 50% of Rabbits will show this) rather than an active infection ?

Antibiotics wont treat EC anyway, treatment would include Fenbendazole and a non steroidal anti-inflammatory

Antibiotics would only be needed to address a secondary bacterial infection, not EC itself

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...N3ISKU&sig=AHIEtbR1V0Bkgl46nxoM3IZVX7iM5Uaz_Q

Personally I would seek a second opinion from another Vet

I totally agree with this.

And I'm wondering a bit why the test was done in the first place if there are no symptoms. :?

Personally, I think I'd want to watch closely for any symptoms before treating for active EC, including symptoms beyond what would be considered the norm.

Yes I was going to say the same as above our vet said 50% of rabbits will show positive in a test for EC because they're carriers but won't necesarily get EC in their life- I think that's right. So it's probably not a good idea to get a test for EC if there's no reason to because you'll worry for possibly no reason.

If you are worried you can always give panacur for 9 days I think it is as a preventative treatment. That won't harm if she doesn't have EC

Thank you so much for your speedy replies! I am definitely getting a second opinion. We had the tests done because I wanted a blood work up (she was adopted from a shelter so I didn't have any of those results) and she was doing some territorial/abnormal peeing outside of her litter box. We wanted to make sure she didn't have a kidney/bladder infection. I think it was just a bunny diva thing because has hasn't peed outside of the box for about 2 months.

I have more info now. I spoke to the vet in length today and he told me that:
- her leukocyte count (white blood cell count) was a lot higher than it should be at ~65%. Implying that she is fighting off some sort of an infection
- her basophils were also high (antigenic/allergic response or just fighting off an infection)
- her blood also showed slight anemia (Red Blood Cell count was 4.89 when the range is 5 to 8)
- slight levels of lead (do not know anything about the foster home she was in but she's not eating any paint with me)

I'm most concerned about the white blood cell count though. I know a lot of bunnies have E. Cuniculi but he said: - iffy levels (could have been exposed) are 0.300-0.350
- exposed levels are 0.350-2.0
- she tested 0.669
The vet then said if she didn't have those abnormal blood results he would probably not treat it. He is recommending that we try to regulate those levels with: Baytril (liquid), ivermectin (injection), and fendendazol (liquid).

I don't know if this changes anything. She is still not presenting any symptoms. I am only familiar with human test results and we usually wait for white blood cell counts to go down but since she's a bunny and has such a smaller body, I'm not sure what the protocol is. I am also nervous about messing up her digestive system since it seems very healthy to me. Just wanted to see if anyone has had anything similar happen to their buns or some bun they know.

Thanks again!

Back