• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excess cecals

chloeturner

Warren Veteran
Hope this is in the right place.. It is kinda to do with digestion! :D

Around this time every afternoon, Lola has uneaten, squished (from sitting on them) cecals on the kitchen floor. Luckily its tiles so the mess wipes up easily :thumb:

What could be causing this? I got the perfect balance of unlimited hay, nuggets and a few greens, slowly introduced in small amounts, and she was fine, no uneaten ones lying around at all, maybe just the odd tiny bit of cecal but not the big grape-like ones.

The problem has come back. Should I skip the nuggets tonight and see if I find any this time tomorrow? Shes a good hay eater so I'm confident she wont be really hungry. Then if theres none tomorrow, slowly reintroduce the nuggets and if one day she produces excess I can cut it down to what it was the previous day?

How many nuggets do you give her? Sometimes certain brands do this to some buns, and switching to an alternative brand can help. I've heard Excel in particular can cause excess cecals.

How many nuggets do you give her? Sometimes certain brands do this to some buns, and switching to an alternative brand can help. I've heard Excel in particular can cause excess cecals.

This :thumb:

Ludo gets them from Excel nuggets if he gets more than 1/2 eggcup a day in total. (He's got digestion issues though).

He also gets them before a stasis episode.

Are you absolutely sure you didn't feed even a tiny bit more greens than normal or even a few more pellets than normal, even without noticing, it only takes a few! I've done that and then thought back and realised!

Burgess fruity fibre :wave:

I don't know that one! What's the fibre/protein content etc? How much do you feed? Do you feed it all at once? Ludo finds it best on his tummy to have his in two portions morning and evening.

But if she's leaving even little bits of ones regularly then her tummy still isn't 100% settled so you may need to keep trying different feeding arrangements. Bunnies :roll:

I don't know :oops: she had pepper this morning, but only as much as id give her any other day.

I usually sick my hand in the bag and give her a handful, I thought you weren't meant to "starve" young bunnies of nuggets because of growth but shes greedy so I don't give her them all day, just at night :|

Actually, she had some nuggets in her treat ball last night before I went to bed, and then when I put her pen up I had to scatter a few more to get her to go in.. Maybe it was that. My mum just said.. "You dont think you're giving her too much to eat, with all this hay do you. Look at all this hay!" Pointing to the handful of fresh in her litter tray. She still doesnt get that bunnies have unlimited hay :roll:

Going to start from scratch again tomorrow, shes on hay only until tomorrow night!!

Can any of you help with this http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?385819-Worms!-Advice-please!

ETA: these nuggets :wave:http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bu...ng-rabbit---fruity-fibre-nuggets.html;203;342 I have 5 bags, so shes got to eat them! :lol:

I just came on this section to post the exact same question!
My bun seems to have this in the morning. It's not just a couple either could be between 10 and 20 cecals and thats without any that she does actually eat. I have stopped all fresh veggies because I thought it might be that but maybe ill try taking some of her nuggets away x

Hi again,

Ok, that Burgess fruity food isn't the worst but it's not the best to be honest.

Have a look here to see why:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

Do you ever feed her things like carrot or apple as I'd avoid things like that as they have natural sugars in and that can cause excess cecals.

I can't advise on feeding a young bunny I'm afraid, what I'd personally do isn't what some others would advise! Might be worth getting her weighed and seeing if she's mostly grown, if she is then I'd definitely not feed her too many pellets. But I do think it sounds a bit like for an 18-19 week old her diet is a bit overloaded if she's making excess caecals so I'd simplify it a bit!

Hi again,

Ok, that Burgess fruity food isn't the worst but it's not the best to be honest.

Have a look here to see why:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

Do you ever feed her things like carrot or apple as I'd avoid things like that as they have natural sugars in and that can cause excess cecals.

I can't advise on feeding a young bunny I'm afraid, what I'd personally do isn't what some others would advise! Might be worth getting her weighed and seeing if she's mostly grown, if she is then I'd definitely not feed her too many pellets. But I do think it sounds a bit like for an 18-19 week old her diet is a bit overloaded if she's making excess caecals so I'd simplify it a bit!

Thanks! Im just going to leave her with hay to let her tummy settle, then start from scratch again when shes not producing excess. If the nuggets still upset her, I'll have to try something else. I think its just trial and error, everyones buns are going to be different anyway so what works for one may not work for another. Thanks again :D

She may be just one of those buns with a sensitive tummy. If she is eating loads of hay then she should be fine if you reduce her pellets, but I would still reduce them gradually, as suddenly stopping them completely may cause more problems.

The burgess pellets do seem to be rather low in fibre, but then if your bun is eating mainly hay and just a few pellets, then it shouldn't be a problem. My 3 buns only get 10 science selective high fibre pellets at night, but they get the occasional fibafirst or vetcare plus digestive system sticks as treats.

Usually veg doesn't tend to cause excess cecals, as veg doesn't contain much protein...I believe buns with tummies sensitive to veg have runny or sticky "normal poops" but I could be wrong. You could try changing from veg to herbs and maybe dandelion and other foraged foods if you have a garden. herbs tend to be better for some buns who have problems with veg.

Ive just had a look at the table which has all the different rabbit foods on, and mine is already on Supreme science selective. I'm only giving her what it says she should have on the pack not unlimited nuggets.
Do some rabbits just produce excess cecals or is it always a sign of a 'problem?' x

Ive just had a look at the table which has all the different rabbit foods on, and mine is already on Supreme science selective. I'm only giving her what it says she should have on the pack not unlimited nuggets.
Do some rabbits just produce excess cecals or is it always a sign of a 'problem?' x

sometimes what is recommended on the pack is too much for some buns :wave: its never ok to produce excess cecals if its a regular thing

:wave:

I often find that probiotics for a week or so helps settle things down, and to cut down a little on the green food.

Hope this helps :)

Poops are back to normal. She's a brill hay eater, she's always sat in the litter tray munching :lol:

So, should I just give her an eggcup amount tonight? Or leave her tummy to rest because she's still eating hay? I remember reading somewhere that if a bun produces a lot of excess, to reduce their diet to hay until they've gone 24hrs without excess and are producing nice normal poos then gradually continue "normal" diet?
I bought some herbage (dandelion and marigold with timothy hay) to mix with her normal hay for variety, and it says it has health benefits too :thumb: my basil has wilted, I don't think it was the veg, I think I overdid the nuggets last night :wave:

Back