• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anti-neausea drugs for head tilt bunny

Sabine

New Kit
My 5 year old Netherland Dwarf, Asha, has come down with severe headtilt about a week ago. She has been on daily baytril and metacam injections since. Yesterday was the first day without injections (Sunday) and she deteriorated dramatically so that I had to go back to syringe feeding her.
We are due back to the vets this afternoon to discuss further treatment and also to pick up Lapazole (Panacur) which had to be ordered in specifically.
On another forum Meclizine , a drug to treat motion sickness, has been recommended. Unfortunately I can't get it over the counter in Ireland and it has to be ordered in with prescription from the vet. My vet was not too familiar with these type of drugs for rabbits and understandably has been reluctant to prescribe anything. I wonder is there a European equivalent of this drug that can be safely used on rabbits?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Our vet uses Emeprid to help with dizziness and anti nausea and it works really well :wave: I hope Asha makes a good recovery

I went through this with my severely disabled house bunny Roger, who went on to make a full recovery, and so I will be following your thread with interest to see how your vet manages your bun. If I am honest, although Roger did have anti-nausea drugs, they do seem a bit controversial as there is no clear evidence that rabbits experience feelings of nausea. If I am honest, I am more concerned about your vet having limited knowledge of these drugs which makes me wonder if he is going to be experienced enough to get your bun through this. I really hope I haven't offended you, I just want you to be fully aware of things just in case it turns out to be yourself, actually having to lead your vet through this. I think firstly before anything else, and I apologise if you already are aware of this, but it is vital that you are aware that head tilt can be divided into peripheral, which doesn't involve the brain, and central, which does involve the brain. It's just that being able to make this distinction is critical in the treatment plan and ultimate prognosis, as if you treat the wrong one, your bunny may well not recover. Has your vet being able to make that distinction as yet?

I was prescribed Stemetil for my Kermit. This is for motion sickness / dizziness

Hope your wee bun pulls through this x
It is one tough illness to beat but bunnies are tough wee cookies.

I am so sorry I never responded to all the replies. I somehow did not receive email notification and thought there were no replies.
We assume the culprit for the headtilt is e.cuniculi and we are treating her accordingly. It is 5 weeks into the treatment now: Baytri, penicillin, fenbendazole and she is eating fine but the mobility is not great. she is still quite tilted and sometimes rolls.

Back