• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

friend for a giant?

Catherine896

Young Bun
Hiya, I am getting a french lop this week. He is 7 months and neutered. Just wondering on a friend for him in the future, I would like a dwarf, but I can't see a dwarf being friends with a french lop without being hurt or squashed lol. Whats the smallest rabbit that would work to be a friend for him? I am assuming the best bet is a spayed female rather than a baby female? Is another neutered male a possibility?

If I was to get a pair of dwarfs one day (both neutered) and him a big lady friend, would any of them mind about seeing each other through cage bars when in the garden? Would it cause upset to each bonded pair or wouldn't they really care as long as they weren't side by side?

Thanks alot :)

usually a spayed female is best- around the same age as your frenchie. size doesnt matter too much its mainly the personalities that are important:wave:

as the saying goes, size doesn't matter. :wave:

I have two medium sized buns with my frenchie, admittedly he is quite small for a frenchie.

34339_443781989362_5908774_n.jpg

Lovely rabbits :) The one I am getting is all black too. What sexes are your 3?

Hmmm, thats interesting then, I will keep an eye out for a spayed female to go with him, thanks :)

Lovely rabbits :) The one I am getting is all black too. What sexes are your 3?

Hmmm, thats interesting then, I will keep an eye out for a spayed female to go with him, thanks :)

my frenchie is a boy and the crossbreeds are girls, all neutered :D

I have a giant, not a lop, but he's still pretty big! I'm going to be pairing him with a normal size, I don't know exactly how big she is. I personally wouldn't pair a giant with a dwarf, but each to their own, I just adopted the most suitable bunny in the sanctuary.
Where are you getting your rabbit from? :)

I was told by my vet that size doesn't matter too much, but the animal sanctuary weren't too keen on me having a small bun, just because Benji can be quite boisterous and we wouldn't want him to accidentally hurt them. He isn't aggressive at all, but you never know what could happen accidentally.

Yeah thats what I was thinking that if he decided to argue the little one wouldn't stand much of a chance! I will probably get a medium or another big bunny to go with him, and have a pair of tiny ones seperately.

He is from a breeder, he has been used for teaching vet students so has been handled by lots of people, in and out of a car etc so he should be quite a laid back boy!

Looking forwards to meeting him :D

Thanks.

I have a giant continental and a dwarf, and they are so cute together. Let them have a run together for the first time and they just cuddled up by the sofa :) But they don't sleep tonight or anything, just play :)

Size does not matter and to a point neither does sex. If their personalities work together then they will bond. Yes their are certain issues that may come up in a fe/male x fe/male bond, but if done properly with the right rabbits it will work. My easiest bond was two males, it worked because one was dominant and the other submissive. Obviously you wouldn't place two overly dominant rabbits, of any combination, together and expect it to work out. Every rabbit is different and if done carefully any combination will work :wave:

Back