• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not loving Luna's poops...

MillyAlice

Warren Scout
Just wondered if anyone has any advice? She had an episode of stasis about a month ago, she's all better now so I want to focus on getting her poops better. They're not worrying or anything, but they are smaller and darker than Jasper's, and as they obviously have the same diet I wonder why this is. I theorise that her stasis was due to a slight fur blockage (as she was moulting at the time) so I wonder if perhaps there's still something there? I don't want to stress the poor baby out by taking her to the vet, as she's eating, drinking, binkying and stealing Jasper's veg like normal :lol: but is there anything I could give her that would clear a blockage if there was one?
Or, perhaps, what I think makes no sense, and I need to do something else?
Any help greatly appreciated!

Does she eat as much hay? How much veg and what veg do they get? Some veg can cause gas, which leads to stasis. What hay do they get? Is it good quality? Has she had her teeth checked recently? (Sorry for all the questions!) :wave:

Xena has had "odd" poos. Some large, some small, some golden and some dark so I have put her on probiotics. She has a sensitive tummy and she has always had very loud gut sounds, since being on the probiotics her tum has been quiet and her poos are looking much better. I used the protexin pellets from vetuk but I only got these because I know that her diet is good and it's just her guts that are not acting normally.

I don't think she has as much as jasper, but I don't know how to get her to eat more? I try to always have at least two kinds of good quality hay (ATM the have 2 kinds of meadow hay, peppermint forage and ready grass).
The vet checked her teeth on the repeat visit and said there were no concerns. They get leafy greens, broccoli, herbs and the odd bit of carrot (not at once obviously! And only a small handful at a time).
I'd def consider probiotics, trouble is she's still super timid and won't even let me touch her so feeding her anythings stressful to us both!
Thanks for being so helpful :wave:

Just saw you use pellets! Do you feed to both buns? I don't see jasper being too generous about Luna getting special food!

Yes, both my buns get them. There's no way one would tolerate another getting a treat without them! :lol: Xena even gets annoyed when Fiver gets his pain relief :roll:

How much pellets do they get a day?

A small handful between them first thing then another in the evening. For reasons I honestly can't tell you, we sometimes measure it in a terny espresso cup and it about half fills it. Before I learnt better, jasper was a bit chubby so I'm quite careful now :oops:

Back