• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pet insurance

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Previously I've just saved a small amount each month in a separate account in case of bunny emergencies but now that there are three of them I think it would be a good idea to get insurance - even one emergency wipes out so much money! So I'd be grateful for any answers to these questions:

Do you have bunny insurance?
Who provides it?
What does it cover?
If you've claimed, how did it go? Any problems?

Thanks guys :)

Mine's with Petplan @ £22 a month for both. The only specific restriction on ours for any respiratory tract problems in one of them because he's been treated before. If your buns have had any health problems in the past you'll probably find they're not covered for it. I've put in one claim for £180 odd for a trip to the emergency vets (but this will be minus the £55 excess) but I've not had it back yet so I can't say how good they are I'm afraid!

All 5 of my house bunnies are insured with Petplan and I can't praise them enough. You get a discount if you have 3+ insured with them. Policies are under £10 per month per bun. I only have to pay a £50 excess and my vet deals directly with them, so I don't have to pay the bill initially and then claim it back, just the excess. I really appreciated this on New Years Day this year, because probably like most people I was absolutely skint and so true to form, my 'special needs' bunny crashed into the lounge wall during a mega binky and split his head open, and had to be rushed to vets. £153 that day for emergency consultation, and meds to keep him comfortable, went in the next day for GA, X-rays etc, shaved his head (looked a right thug!!) 7 sutures and another £227, but only had to pay excess. What a relief!! My vet is brilliant and suggested that because he was booked in for castrate the following week, did it on Jan 2nd, and only had to pay £25 instead of £75, because vet said GA etc could go on insurance claim for head injury, and he wouldn't want to give him another GA the following week, so that actually saved me money. Petplan paid and have always paid all of my claims no problems, and vet says that pay out within 10 working days, usually day 5 or 6. They don't cover vaccinations or neutering, but without realising it they did pay for most of Dipsy's castrate lol. My previous severely disabled bun Roger, was deaf, had a stroke, pasterella, hernia, loads of things and never had any problems whatsoever with anything being paid. He also had absolutely terrible teeth and had a number of dentals, and these were all paid as well. I think with regards dentals, they don't cover them, but a lot seems to depend on how helpful your vet is. For example, Roger developed a terrible abcess under his tongue and needed a dental, but because vet said in the claim that a dental was needed because of the abcess, they paid it. Whenever Roger needed a dental it was always noticed because of some trauma etc in his mouth, and so because vet put dental down as treatment needed to allow the mouth to heal, there was never a problem with it. I think they are very reasonable in as far as that one of my buns Pippa, is tiny because she nearly starved to death, but I discussed all this with them, and they did say that sometimes bunnies like Pippa can develop GI problems, and so they have put an exclusion on those type of claims for 6 months, but we have gone 4 months now. When the 6 months is up, my vet just needs to fax a report over confirming that he has not treated Pippa for any GI problems, and then they are going to remove the exclusion, and to be honest I am very happy with that.

im with petplan and pay about £27 per month. as with any insurance pre existing conditions are excluded. As long as you get the yearly vaccs sorted with a yearly dental check(usually done at vaccination time) then an aweful lot is covered. have a look at the terms on the site to be sure. My rabbit charlie got a bad respiritory infection (snuffles) and they paid out about £600 worth of treatment. i just paid the excess and they were really good.:thumb:

Probably worth pointing out that for me, I have to pay the bill direct, as I'm with Petplan too I suppose that means that it depends on the vets!

with me my vets said if its over 100 then they let you pay direct so yes definiately check with vet which insurance companies they allow direct payments with

I don't insure Ludo but I am in a financial situtation to pay the bills.

I got him, got a quote for him with Petplan, and he got stasis within a few days of me getting the quote.

Thankfully I hadn't taken out the policy! (If they get ill in the first so many days they're not covered for that illness so they wouldn't have paid nor would he ever have been covered for stomach problems!)

I didn't insure my last bunny, he was a private rescue and at his age it was pricey, however as it turned out even with his eye infections and things it would have worked out more expensive than putting a bit aside every month, but as RogerRabbit said, in some cases it works out cheaper. So, it's up to you but Petplan does seem to be the best insurer!

One thing that does make a difference of course is if you live near a vet that opens on Sundays and evenings and whether they charge emergency rates or normal ones. My vet is open most of the time if it's an emergency and only charges standard fees, which is pretty good I think!

Probably worth pointing out that for me, I have to pay the bill direct, as I'm with Petplan too I suppose that means that it depends on the vets!

I think that must be the case. Maybe it helps because my vet is just a rabbit vet and so he isn't sending in claims for any other type of animal, and maybe they have different people for dealing with dogs, cats etc.

Mine are with PAH and it's about £90 a year for their 'lifetime' cover. I absolutely hate monthly payments, I like to just pay it once and be done with it (saves hubby whingeing about it all year rather than just once :lol:) I suspect that the cover isn't quite as comprehensive or to such a high value as Petplan, but then it costs less too!

I've claimed a few times without massive problem, although I know some people have had hideous problems. On one occasion I got the 'we asked your vet for more info but didn't get it so we've closed your case' letter, which seemed to be how other people's non-payment problems have started, but I rang up, asked what they needed (full history not just the past 12 months), my VN faxed it across while I was at the practice, so when I rang them a couple of days later to confirm receipt they agreed, and then I got a cheque the following week. On the same claim they've paid out for referral fees from a different vet, and on a different policy for one of my cats, they paid out quickly and without problem for emergency vet fees and follow up surgery back at my own vet.

Do you have bunny insurance? Yes, I used to have it for both buns but now just have it for one.
Who provides it? Petplan
What does it cover? Everything except routine dental work. You have to vaccinate them and get them a yearly dental check as part of the policy too.
If you've claimed, how did it go? Any problems? Mostly fine, have claimed nearly £1000 for one bunny. The first claim was annoying, they needed more info from the vet but didn't bother telling me they needed it :roll: so I had no idea until I rang up to ask why it was taking so long. All other claims have been easy and have paid out within a month.
I had both buns on the policy but when it came to renewal this year they upped my premium on both by £50 a year and increased the excess from £50 to £80. I rang up and asked why but they couldn't give me a reason - one bun is only 2 and I've never claimed for her. They couldn't change it so I cancelled the policy for the bun that is fairly healthy but kept it for my poorly boy, as his vet bills will likely exceed his insurance costs.

My three are with petplan. Like you i started off by putting money aside and thought i'd done pretty well, but Bubbles got an obstruction and blew my savings out of the water and I had to borrow a fair but too! Cost £1100 with ongoing meds and nursing as it was a long time before he ate. I insured that week!

Bubbles has an exclusion for anything related to that claim, and Pippin for eye infections. But they wrote off Pipin's exclusion this year- she had conjnctivitis but my vet argued that the intial condition was cured and wouldn'taffect anything and they paid. I think some of it depends on your vet and how they write stuff up.

I really wouldn't be without it now. I've only claimed about 150 for Bubbles in the three years they've been insured' but Merry, my old bun who was my healthiest when i took out the insuance, I claimed about 1200 for one year and 1600 the next. I've put in 1900 worth of claims in the last 8 weeks for charlie too. I'm going to go over my limit with him but the insurance has given us a fighting chance. We may not be able to make him better but the insurance has paid for several surgeries that I'm not sure I could have funded myself. Now i just need to keep medicating and hoping!

Personally i never have had a problem with petplan, touch wood, and the insured for life policy is real peace of mind.

my 'special needs' bunny crashed into the lounge wall during a mega binky and split his head open, and had to be rushed to vets. £153 that day for emergency consultation, and meds to keep him comfortable, went in the next day for GA, X-rays etc, shaved his head (looked a right thug!!) 7 sutures and another £227, but only had to pay excess. What a relief!!

Poor bunny, has he recovered?

Hesperus, i have a policy with exotic direct for benji, but noticed they dont pay out for dentals, so i changed to pet plan, i saw that i couldn't claim in the first 10 days of the policy starting so i kept exotic direct policy running just in case, which was lucky because benji had stopped eating so had to go to emergency vets! Does this mean that pet plan wont insure me for benji not eating or tummy troubles in the future?:wave: ps benji has never had any dental trouble it was just that i wanted to be able to claim for it if needed in the future.

Hesperus, i have a policy with exotic direct for benji, but noticed they dont pay out for dentals, so i changed to pet plan, i saw that i couldn't claim in the first 10 days of the policy starting so i kept exotic direct policy running just in case, which was lucky because benji had stopped eating so had to go to emergency vets! Does this mean that pet plan wont insure me for benji not eating or tummy troubles in the future?:wave: ps benji has never had any dental trouble it was just that i wanted to be able to claim for it if needed in the future.

Oh my goodness this sounds like one of those logic puzzles... :shock: I'm not sure! You have to read the small print of the policy, I never quite understood what 'pre-existing condition' meant... perhaps someone else more wise could clarify. But if for eample my vet said Ludo is delicate and has had stasis would they cover him?

Sorry if i confused you! I will have to ring pet plan tomorrow and ask them where i stand before i cancel the exotic direct policy:lol:

I wouldn't mention you have another policy though- if it's anything like car insurance you invalidate both by having two- because they'll both say the other should pay! :lol:

I just looked at pet plan but they don't cover for death by illness or accidentally so that puts me off them so I tried PAH but they don't recognise my post code (other places have done this before) would I be better ringing them? Or is there anywhere else I can go?

I just looked at pet plan but they don't cover for death by illness or accidentally so that puts me off them so I tried PAH but they don't recognise my post code (other places have done this before) would I be better ringing them? Or is there anywhere else I can go?

Are you sure? Just checked my 5 buns policies with Petplan and they are covered. I just get back what I paid for them, which is the donations to various rescues. When I lost Roger, they paid the £30 I had spent on my donation, and I just sent it to the same rescue when it came through.

Back