• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

house rabbit inoculations? open windows?

Jens

New Kit
hello i'm new to the forum and was hoping someone could help me, i have offered to take a house rabbit off my brothers hands whos ex just left the bunny there and never came back for her and my brother is always away working so really cant look after her. i've had rabbits before but never an indoor rabbit and i was wondering do they need jabs like outdoor rabbits? is there any special care needs they require and is it ok to have your windows open with a house rabbit? any info would be much appreciated, thanks so much

welcome to the forum :wave:

I have house bunnies and it is generally advised to vaccinate them once a year as myxo and vhd can be passed by biting insects and/or shoes that have been walking in areas where the disease is so in my opinion its better to be safe than sorry.

Also, make sure you bunny proof-so protect wires/cables and keep them out of reach. you will find loads of advice o here im sure so all the best:wave:

give them a litter tray and they will start going toilet intheir as long as theres hay.

an yes windows open are fine.:D

Hello

Yes, House Rabbits do need to be vaccinated. There is now a new once yearly combination vaccine that covers for both Myxomatosis and VHD

Having downstairs windows open can be an issue with regards to Cats coming in. Unfortunately it is not unheard of for Urban Foxes to enter a house too. So I would not leave windows open in a room where the Rabbit would be unsupervised. I may be over cautious about this, but I actually lost a House Rabbit to an Urban Fox who came into my kitchen through an open window.

There is some more information about House Rabbits here:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/heyNov07.pdf

Yes, they need a vaccination against myxi and VHD once a year. It's OK to leave a window open, unless there's a risk from predators (foxes, cats) jumping in. xx

ah thank you! my house is fairly rabbit proof already as i have chinchillas and they are very nibbley. can inside bunnies ever become outside bunnies? or can they have runs outside at all or is that a big no no? i think she is about 2 years old

welcome to the forum :wave:

I have house bunnies and it is generally advised to vaccinate them once a year as myxo and vhd can be passed by biting insects and/or shoes that have been walking in areas where the disease is so in my opinion its better to be safe than sorry.

Also, make sure you bunny proof-so protect wires/cables and keep them out of reach. you will find loads of advice o here im sure so all the best:wave:

oh dear thats terrible i'm so sorry to hear that, thank you for the link i'll look at that

Hello

Yes, House Rabbits do need to be vaccinated. There is now a new once yearly combination vaccine that covers for both Myxomatosis and VHD

Having downstairs windows open can be an issue with regards to Cats coming in. Unfortunately it is not unheard of for Urban Foxes to enter a house too. So I would not leave windows open in a room where the Rabbit would be unsupervised. I may be over cautious about this, but I actually lost a House Rabbit to an Urban Fox who came into my kitchen through an open window.

There is some more information about House Rabbits here:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/heyNov07.pdf

yes they can become outdoor bunnies. if you were to do this its best to wait until may june when its warmer(hopefully ). then they have time to get thicker coats for winter.

even indoor buns can go outside for periods in the summer. I have a run outside so when its not raining and its mild they can be in that most of the day.- i have to make sure im in though as their run currently is on grass and a fox could dig in or they coud ig out so have to keep checking on them. Im hoping to get that sorted though.

Can I just say , What a nice thing you are doing by taking this wee bun in... Good for you..

and Welcome

Fee xxx

thanks fee she is lovely so it wasnt a hard choice! all bunnies are lovely though! oh thats good lucy thanks i was hoping she could enjoy the outside 2 =)

Back