• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice Please

Den

Mama Doe
I am going to adopting a pair of bunnies in a month or so. My husband is building me a hutch and run which we are hoping to finish this weekend. A few questions as it has been a long time since I had a bunny. I have seen that lots of you line the floors with vinyl. My husband would make sure it is well fitted and not chewable but is it not too slippery? Secondly is the wilkinsons timber guard/paint safe in case they chew although I hope they will have enough to do/nibble on that they will leave their home alone! Finally (for this section) as my (cunning) long term plan is to prove to husband that bunnies can be litter trained and live indoors is it best to have 2 litter trays - one in hutch area and one in run area? Many thanks

I am going to adopting a pair of bunnies in a month or so. My husband is building me a hutch and run which we are hoping to finish this weekend. A few questions as it has been a long time since I had a bunny. I have seen that lots of you line the floors with vinyl. My husband would make sure it is well fitted and not chewable but is it not too slippery? Secondly is the wilkinsons timber guard/paint safe in case they chew although I hope they will have enough to do/nibble on that they will leave their home alone! Finally (for this section) as my (cunning) long term plan is to prove to husband that bunnies can be litter trained and live indoors is it best to have 2 litter trays - one in hutch area and one in run area? Many thanks

1) Yes linoleum flooring can be slippy, but most people get the kitchen/bathroom stuff which has a rougher texture/more grip and mine have never had a problem even on the slightly slippery-er stuff. To be honest it's got a lot more grip than it looks because of its rubbery feel! Lots of people get 2x1 wood and make a 'skirting board' around the hutch and screw it in to stop them getting at the ends, that might be useful for you :)

2) Yes I'm pretty sure wilkinsons own garden shades are pet safe. I've seen them recommended many times and I actually checked the back of them a few years ago, but I can't actually find any info on it on the website. Best to double check in store on the back of the pack. Cuprinol shed stains/garden shades are all bunny safe if you're not sure about wilkos.

3) I'm not sure about others, but I have a litter tray in my run. My bunnies seem to love it - they spend so much time in it! However, it's slightly different to the normal one...http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/plasti...-clear-80l/invt/0239167?VBMST=plastic storage I got them this and cut a square-ish hole out (it sort of goes in in the middle where the label is, so I just cut around that shape) and so they can pop in and out and it remains fully dry. Even in the most vicious wind/rain situations it stays 100% dry inside and it gives them a place to go that's free from rain.

Thanks for the quick response. It is much appreciated. It says on the back of the wilkinsons timber pot that it is "animal friendly". We had some left over from the fence last summer. The advice on the link was good. I am going round some local stores for off cuts so will ask for bathroom or kitchen. Unfortunately your litter tray link is not working for me.i will try it later when I get on the computer rather than my phone. Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick response. It is much appreciated. It says on the back of the wilkinsons timber pot that it is "animal friendly". We had some left over from the fence last summer. The advice on the link was good. I am going round some local stores for off cuts so will ask for bathroom or kitchen. Unfortunately your litter tray link is not working for me.i will try it later when I get on the computer rather than my phone. Thanks again.

Oh that's great then, then the paint is pet safe once dry :thumb:. Just double checked the link and it works for me, so it must just be that it isn't the mobile version of the wilkos site! It should work when you get on your computer like you said :D

Back