• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet allergic to rabbits??

PippinWarrenJnr

Warren Scout
Have you ever heard of a vet allergic to rabbits? :shock:

Well i have. I took Pattie in for the spay and she said she couldn't touch the rabbit because she was allergic to them. How ridiculous!!. :evil:

Thats daft! I mean you cant help allergies...my vet is allergis to guinea pigs but she keeps allergy relief at the practice and takes them if she knows we are going in/knows any are booked in and just suffers it if we can up unannouced and takes her relief afterwards! :thumb: My pet sitter is also allergic to GP's and just takes appropriate allergy relief!

At my surgery one of the nurses is allergic to rabbits. Usually she doesn't do the bunny stuff, but when she does she just kits herself out in gloves and covers herself up, lol. I usually pick up the rabbits for her if she needs to check bums or anything, but she really doesn't let it affect her work too much.

There is a vet at ours that is allergic to rabbits too, as when I book Dolly in for her dentals, they always have to check that she's not the vet that's on duty that day! :lol:

Pattie was booked in for the spay. Vet asked if her pre op health check could be done at main surgery by someone else.

Never had a vet not be able to do their job. :shock:

Eermmmmmmmmmm..... really?

So the appointment couldn't be done properly? If so, I'd complain? Seeing a rabbit is an important part of the job. The vet never knows when an emergency could come in.

I'm allergic to persian cats and I work as a cat sitter for persian cats- I take antihistimines (sp) and it's no problem at all! I'm sure the vet could manage!

One of the vets at my practice is too :lol: he sees the buns if no other vet is available, but leaves the room while i get them out of the carrier due to flying fur and hay, he washes his hands a lot and has to change his clothes afterwards :lol:

there's a vet at our practice that's allergic to cats, they just make sure she doesn't get appointments with cats.
Sounds like a fail on the part of the receptionist, but you'd think the vet would have looked at her schedule for the day and switched appointments with another vet. :?

Not everyone's allergies are easily dealt with by taking antihistamines so maybe she really couldn't get close to your bunny, but she shouldn't have taken the appointment if you ask me. Even if it would have meant rearranging.

I had to register my rats with another vet because one of the vets at my usual practice was allergic to them :cry: It was an emergency so I had no choice but to rush ratty to a different vets, and tbh Im not keen on their small animal treatment (although their horse vet is amazing).

One of the vets at my practice is allergic to bunnies but she was fine about examining waffle and waffle was going through an epic moult as well.

I wouldn't mind if my vet was allergic as long as 1) the receptionist didn't book me in to be with that vet if they didn't want to handle them or 2) they put up with it and handled them, even if they wear excessive clothing/protection.

I wouldn't mind if my vet was allergic as long as 1) the receptionist didn't book me in to be with that vet if they didn't want to handle them or 2) they put up with it and handled them, even if they wear excessive clothing/protection.

The vet in question has seen to my bunnys before now she never told me she was allergic to bunnys :roll:

Back