• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grrrr messy buns!!

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
This is what their litter tray looks like the morning after a full clean out :roll: They've dug the majority of hay and litter out into the nice clean hutch grrrrr don't get why they do this?!

A248ABCD-9D0F-499F-AA99-3191012C7347-16688-00001040920654DD_zps67818e39.jpg

I don't know if your buns would go for it, but I make litter tray lasagne (patent pending :lol:). I line the bottom with a couple sheets of newspaper, add the wood pulp litter (just a single layer), then top that in another couple sheets of newspaper. It keeps it MEGA absorbant, but stops them from flicking the wood pulp EVERYWHERE (since they are indoor bunnies). Then I put their hay on top of this, which they dig about in, and they have a hay rack above to pull fresh hay down. Since I've been doing this they have been super happy and my floors are nice and tidy (just a bit of hay tracked in and out and the occassional poo that gets flicked out, hehe). It also makes it SUPER easy to clean out!

I don't know if your buns would go for it, but I make litter tray lasagne (patent pending :lol:). I line the bottom with a couple sheets of newspaper, add the wood pulp litter (just a single layer), then top that in another couple sheets of newspaper. It keeps it MEGA absorbant, but stops them from flicking the wood pulp EVERYWHERE (since they are indoor bunnies). Then I put their hay on top of this, which they dig about in, and they have a hay rack above to pull fresh hay down. Since I've been doing this they have been super happy and my floors are nice and tidy (just a bit of hay tracked in and out and the occassional poo that gets flicked out, hehe). It also makes it SUPER easy to clean out!

Hmm thanks for the tip! I'm sure they'd just be delighted to find a couple of sheets of newspaper to tear up too :roll: but worth a try :thumb: Tbh they seemed better with the hay for pets hay, I think cos it's thicker and more course it maybe wasn't as nice to dig and there seemed to be a lot less waste, however the 9kg only lasted me 2 weeks :shock: I will be ordering more but for now iv had to get the meadow hay from the range again (which, for anyone who's interested, was 2 for £6! Bargain!)

I put The Range hay and baled hay in Donny and Lola's litter trays which they used to dig, I think because it's so.. clumpy. They don't now, I stand there with my scissors cutting it up :oops::lol:

I've just ordered another h4p bag.. I have enough for the rest of the week but that's lasted me 2 weeks too:roll: hay only diets are expensive:lol: oh well, need to literally just put timothy & rye hay in the hay rack and tubes, save the cheaper hay for the litter trays:lol:

Why can't they be like Leo! He loves the baled hay and his t&rye hay lasts over 2 months sometimes! ..:roll::p

Last edited:
I've given up. Any mess Ludo makes stays as mess. I tidy up once a day in the evening, any mess he wants to make before then stays on the carpet (he is litter trained so the mess is just bits of hay not wee or poo!). Any complaints should be made in writing and will be used to line his pee corner.

like the idea of litter tray lasagne!!! my two have an indoor cage with bars on (always open) and i put loads of thick layers of paper and hay in which the dig in and throw around but doesn't go out cos the sides are so high. love the use for the letters of complaint :lol:

Have you tried underbed storage boxes with just newspaper and hay? Smudge used to dig when I used megazorb and Mischa used to dig way back when I used sawdust and then with pelleted cat litter too.

Spenser doesn't seem to be much of a digger. His mess is made by through various smaller containers of hay about. He doesn't have a tray, as being a largish bun these are not really much good. He has a deep washing up basin, lined just with newspaper and hay. Very, very occasionally he tips it up or moves it to pee behind, but he only does this if he is in one of his 'showing off' or 'making a point' moods.

omg!!! genius idea!! how have i not thought of this before!!? trying this idea out today for sure!! :)

I put The Range hay and baled hay in Donny and Lola's litter trays which they used to dig, I think because it's so.. clumpy. They don't now, I stand there with my scissors cutting it up :oops::lol:

I've just ordered another h4p bag.. I have enough for the rest of the week but that's lasted me 2 weeks too:roll: hay only diets are expensive:lol: oh well, need to literally just put timothy & rye hay in the hay rack and tubes, save the cheaper hay for the litter trays:lol:

Why can't they be like Leo! He loves the baled hay and his t&rye hay lasts over 2 months sometimes! ..:roll::p

I think I will use the range hay for Summer and Skye's litter trays and just put the Timothy and Rye in their racks to cut down a bit and use it in Heidi and Dash's trays if it means less mess! Just not sure I can stretch to 2 bags a month from hay for pets, I'm trying to cut down on my spending! :roll:

I think I will use the range hay for Summer and Skye's litter trays and just put the Timothy and Rye in their racks to cut down a bit and use it in Heidi and Dash's trays if it means less mess! Just not sure I can stretch to 2 bags a month from hay for pets, I'm trying to cut down on my spending! :roll:

I was saving loads :cry: but now they're eating double because of the hay only diet.. So I can't do anything but pay :lol: oh well! I'm only putting a 'sprinkle' of t&rye in the litter trays to encourage eating the other hays but I'm still filling the hay rack and things 2/3 times a day:lol:

I received 2 bags at the same time. Leo's is still basically full even though he has 2 big handfuls of it a day (good boy eating the baled hay:love:) but Don and Lola's is half full :lol:

Back