• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering an old bunny

oldmcdonaldsfarm

Warren Scout
Hi all.

My Stewart has just started spraying all over my bed and smells like stale BO.

He's 6.5 years old now but has never done this before so never had him neutered. Now he's doing it, will it be all the time or just breeding season?

Will a vet neuter him now?

Thanks

With rabbits they don't have seasons, they as essentially 'in season' all year round :)

When we took Leo on we had him neutered the next month, he was 5 or 6 at the time :) as long as he is healthy and you have a competent vet then all will be fine:)

Not only will it stop him spraying and having really stinky wee, it will eradicate the risk of testicular cancer :)

I have a 6yr whos not neuted, and personally I will not be getting him neuted at his age, I feel he wouldnt make the GA, but then again he is very skinny and showing his age!

I think it depends on the bunny, I too had a bunny who was showing his age at 6. He had lots of health problems and sadly passed away at 6.5, unneutered. (He was a rescue, so wasn't done). I'm glad I didn't have him done as I'm sure he wouldn't have made it. I'd ask a bunny-savvy vet!

Six is middle aged rather than old for the average rabbit - giants can age a little faster. As long as he's fit and healthy he shouldn't be any higher risk.

The problem with age is old rabbits are more likely to have hearts or other organs that aren't working correctly, so if you are worried you can ask for a blood test to check these first. The vet should do a general check up - teeth, lungs, heart pre-op anyway.

Beds, along with sofas, can be a little bit of a hot spot for bunnies - presumably because they have a lot of people scent and bunnies like to add theirs.

Back