• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding...

supersonic

Mama Doe
I recently had to buy some hay from P@H and on the packaging it said that shredded paper was ok to use for rabbits. As RU have more collective knowledge over buns than P@H, I wondered what your thoughts on shredded paper as bedding would be?

i just thought that if it is ok it could potentially work out cheaper :lol: If not, then obviously I won't, I just thought I'd see what you think of it :)

:wave:

I did when Lola was spayed instead of hay, but she started eating it after a few days :lol: so did Donny and Leo.. :lol:

I think hay would be the safer bedding option so if he was hungry he could pick at the hay, rather than something that could clog him up:)

Hm, Sonic would probably try eat it too... :roll:

I was just wondering if it could be used to... absorb stuff :) Maybe I'll stick to what I do at the moment.

I use shredded paper in their litter tray (I get loads from work). They've got a fleece for bedding though.

bedding

mine have newspaper on top of paperlit and hay. They eat the hay and the newspaper... don't seem to have come to any harm but it can't be great for them.

I lost a bun due to uim eating shredded paper, blocked his bowel. Poor rolo, he was so lovely but had snapped his front teeth when in a park he was released in. So glad my bro found him and brought him home so he was loved and cared for at least some of his life.
I think it would be ok for a bun with full chewing ability but I would use with caution for anybun with dental problems.

I avoid shredded paper but I do use full newspapers. They very, very rarely nibble them as I keep the trays brimmed with hay and they're too busy eating that.

I find that shredded paper doesn't really work for rabbits - it goes flat quickly when they sit on it (so won't keep them warm as bedding) and gets soggy very quickly when they wee on it.

I use whole newspaper to line the bed area (with hay stuffed on top) and general floor area.

I might consider using shredded paper under hay instead of litter or shavings, but don't like cleaning it out when it gets wet. I do use it for smaller furries as bedding. The chipmunks, mice, etc love bundling it up to make their own nest, along with hay.

The rescue I work at uses shredded paper as bedding as so many people can donate it. We only use the long shredded stuff not the short cross cut stuff and it is good for snuggling in, the piggies especially dive in and disappear into a moving pile of wheeking paper :love:

It's not something I'd use at home though, a lot of the bunnies do try to eat it, despite them having access to lots of hay too :roll:

Thanks everyone :wave: I knew I could come to RU for some good advice :lol:

I think I'll avoid it for bedding, but Uno pig may appreciate some to play in... :)

Back