• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cecotropes

~Chey~

Young Bun
I've only had my dwarf lop for 5 days now, he had his jabs the day before yesterday I believe. I keep finding loads of cecotropes in his cage. Is this a bad thing?
The vet said he looked healthy and content, and not really timid at all which is a good sign! Pleased he's not been stressing especially from a vet visit.
I'm just curious as why there are so many. He was cleaned last night and there is over 10 i would say from just a quick look around. He seems to be doing these more than normal poops. His normal poops look healthy however. Hasn't been a worry until the last two days when he's been doing it exessive amounts.
Any help would be much appreciated!

How old is he and what are you feeding him? It's normally a diet issue. I used go give Doughnut too many pellets as was told to feed her unlimited when she was young. There were cecotropes everywhere. I cut down and now I don't see any. She has an egg cup a day.

Also if you have introduced anything new such as veg this can result in lots of cecotropes.

He is 9 weeks old, I was recommended by my vet and on here to feed unlimited pellets (also because he is under weight) and he always has unlimited hay. He's had some dandelion leaves, carrot, spring greens and celery. dandelion leaves would be the only new thing to him. He's currently on the p@h junior and dwarf pellets (unlimited) but I've brought bags of burgess junior and dwarf pellets as well for switching him onto this soon.

Hi :wave: he is a bit too young really i think for giving fresh veg and greens, they only have very delicate tummies at that age. I would stop giving any of that for at least another month, and only reintroduce it one thing at a time, in very small amounts :wave:

Thank you! Ill stop the veggies until then and hopefully he will be back in track. Is it unlimited pellets until you neuter them?

Back