• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch is filthy help......

sharon109

Warren Scout
i got 2 female rabbits 3 weeks ago. they get on well still. the only problem is they are luving in my conservatory until its warmer then theyl go outside. i cleaned there hutch ladt thursday. again on saturday and again just now. in 2 days all there saw dust is soaked. there house bits soaked. the litter box in corner us flooded with wee and poo. they basically pee and poo all over. there paws are minging.

ive bathed them in the sink which they were happy with as there getting manked up. im changing there hole cage every 2 days. it smelt strong of wee when i got in tonight and i dont want my house to smell like that.

anyone got any ideas what age u can teach them to go in one place. my other rabbit outside learnt straight away when he was 1.

helppppp

Some will only learn once neutered, but in the meantime you could try a more absorbing material? Something like carefresh or wood based cat litter keeps it drier and less smelly :thumb:
Forgot to add, if you keep cleaning it every day and just put a bit off wee soaked bedding and some poos into the tray they will hopefully get the idea! Is there one area they tend to use? How big is your hutch? I had a similar problem with one of mine when he started free ranging, the whole hutch be Mae a litter tray :roll: he did learn though!

Do they come out of the hutch and run around the conservatory ? If they do you could try a underbed storage box lined with newspaper and hay piled on top mine use these as there toilets and I clean these every other day :thumb:

How big is their hutch? I found using aubiose or hemcore really good, as it is actually deep litter horse bedding, which draws all the moisture away from the top and traps in smell and moisture. The top stays absolutely dry. Do you have enough room in the hutch to put an under-bed-storage box? As these are deep sided, they stop buns peeing over the edge. Alternatively, do you need a hutch if they are in conservatory? If they are free range, you could replace the hutch with just an underbd storage box filled with aubiose and topped with hay...the boxes are easy to clean out, as they fit inside a bin liner nicely to be emptied (only time you may smell the wee).

I use Megazorb in litter trays, comes in big sacks from the company that deliver the hay bales and they don't cost that much. Are they spayed? That's the thing that will make the biggest difference with litter training xx

they come out at night but whilst im.at work there in. where can i get that horse stuff from. it just seems no matter how much i clean them out they stink lol. im bit paranoid my kitchen smells of wee.... they dont seem to go in one place everywhere. i got a four foot hutch but they come out for excercise

Unfortunately it's probably because the hutch is too small. They can't use just one corner as a litter area because there isn't enough space to get away from the wee and poo so it all just becomes a big litter tray. Is there any way you can set up some puppy panels around the open hutch so that that they have enough space during the day? You'd probably find that with the space to create different areas with their enclosure, they'd automatically use one specific area for toileting.

Unfortunately it's probably because the hutch is too small. They can't use just one corner as a litter area because there isn't enough space to get away from the wee and poo so it all just becomes a big litter tray. Is there any way you can set up some puppy panels around the open hutch so that that they have enough space during the day? You'd probably find that with the space to create different areas with their enclosure, they'd automatically use one specific area for toileting.

Yes I'm afraid your hutch is too small - the minimum they need is 6 x 2 with a permanent access to an attached run (they shouldn't be confined to their hutch). You could then put a large litter tray in the run - line this with thick layer of newspaper and hay (they like to wee and poo as they eat) and they should get the hang of it! If you take a look at the indoor housing section, you'll get some good ideas.

Spaying will definitely help.

I have to agree with this, they really need a bigger area with a seperate toilet area...that way their feet will stay clean too.

I buy my big bags of aubiose (which lasts about 1 month for 4 buns and two piggies, cleaning out 3 times a week) from local pet shop or from horse feed shop. I pay about £10 for a bag of aubiose, hemcore is about £11. Aubiose is completely dust free, and buns love it too!

I use wood pellet cat litter in their litter trays (which is more readily available than the horse stuff), topped with hay, it def smells less than wood shavings. But I think some buns r just messy! I have one pair that is like that, I only cleaned hutch fully on mon and yesterday it stank as they keep weeing everywhere :roll: I'm planning on a new bigger hutch in next few months so I'm hoping that will help, like others have said, more space hopefully means they're more likely to pick one area. Good luck!

Very early days for them to get house trained but I am sure it will happen. Not sure where people have got the hutch size, but if it is small, that won't help matters though.

Firstly I would not use saw dust as it is not good for rabbits - a definate no no :) My rabbits litter tray is simply newspaper and lots of hay, which I top up at the end of the day, for overnight, and then change litter tray daily.

The better their environment (appropriate space etc) the better their quality of life, the easier for you to manage and so much pleasure to be gained from it all for you :) I have to say, when you get it right they are a doodle to look after - mine can take as little as 5 mins per day to clean up after if necessary!

Back