• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt when eating. U/D P24 back from the vets!

Theo is booked in at the vets for tomorrow as he's tilting his head when eating. :( I got really frightened today when I fed him and noticed his head was leaning to the left. :cry: I picked him up and took him away from the other buns worried he might have EC. When I took him away, he hopped around fine not tilting his head so I thought it was just a false alarm and maybe he just had a twitch! Put him back with the other buns and he did it again. :(

I took him inside and gave him a bit of carrot to see if he would tilt his head when eating other foods, he did, my mum saw and we decided he needs to see the vet. I am almost certain it will be his back teeth? :( My poor Mischief was a dental bun, I don't want to see the same problems he had in Theo too. :cry: I have felt Theo's face, it seems fine and he didn't react when I gently pressed on the side of his mouth so I don't think it's an abscess. Probably just some spurs? :? I rang the vet and she asked if he has had dental problems before *sigh* sounds like he's going to need an op to sort the problem.

I will update you tomorrow once we've seen the vet. I use a brilliant rabbit savvy vet now but my goodness it's expensive. I'm dreading finding out how much it will cost if he needs work but I will certainly do whatever I can to make Theo better. It's my birthday on Sunday and I know what my birthday money will be spent on. :( Poor Theo. Please can we have vibes that it's not too serious?

Thank you. xx

Last edited:
I hope all goes well for him tomorrow

Try to get a video of him doing the 'tilt' if you can so that you can show the Vet.

Thank you x

I hope all goes well for him tomorrow

Try to get a video of him doing the 'tilt' if you can so that you can show the Vet.

Thank you Jane, I will do good idea. :) I may even take a bit of food with me to feed him so she can see for herself. :( He's only 8 months old. :cry: Is there a chance he could have food stuck in his molar causing a bit of pain and him tilting his head? It's the first time I've seen it and he's fine in himself otherwise. I really hope it's not too serious.

Any chance you can get him to the vet this evening?
I don't want to alarm you but EC acts fast! When Malteser got ill with it we left him in the morning looking and acting normal and came home that night to him being paralysed and cold, only just got there in time really. Had to rush him to an out of hours vet.
Maybe if you happen to have some Panacur you could at least start that this eve?

Any chance you can get him to the vet this evening?
I don't want to alarm you but EC acts fast! When Malteser got ill with it we left him in the morning looking and acting normal and came home that night to him being paralysed and cold, only just got there in time really. Had to rush him to an out of hours vet.
Maybe if you happen to have some Panacur you could at least start that this eve?

Oh God. :shock: The vet didn't sound too worried when I told her it was only when eating. :( I do have panacur but I don't know how much to give or anything, the guidelines are rubbish. I was going to ask the vet tomorrow. The vets closed an hour ago, there's only the emergency hours one in Leeds that I could go to at this time but it's quite a drive and my parents are very busy so no I wouldn't be able to get him there tonight. I was going to ask the vet on the phone but my dad said he didn't have enough time to take me this evening. If the vet had said 'get here now' then yeah we may have made it there but it's too late now and she didn't think it seemed like an emergency. :( She is a highly recommended rabbit savvy vet though.

Oh I didn't want to stress you!:?
There is plenty of time this evening before bed. Keep a close eye on Theo, make a note of symptoms and if you think things are progressing then you have options to go somewhere this eve.
It could just be an ear infection or tooth issue and so tomorrow will be fine.

if you want to start panacur as a precaution its half a gradual per 2kg bun so if he weighs less then its in between the line example it shows on diagram, if he weighs more then i think its 1 gradual

hope all goes well at vets visit

If you want to start the panacur, if bun is less than 2kg just give one syringe graduation, if he's more then give 2 :wave: it could be an ear infection for which he'd need antibiotic ear drops. Sending mega vibes, hope he's ok x

I seriously doubt that it would be EC. Personally I would hold off administering Panacur until the Vet sees him. One dose of Panacur would not do anything even if EC is involved. The only immediate thing that might would be a NSAID as it is cellular inflammatory responses to EC spores that cause the symptoms and long term damage.

Thank you everyone. I was confused about the panacur because it only gave guidelines for 2kg buns + so thanks that had cleared that up. Thank you Jane. I think I will wait until tomorrow before giving any if it will have no effect anyway. Also I have a worry he would choke if there is a problem with his teeth. :oops: After nearly losing dental bun Mischief to a choking incident, I panic at little things now. :oops:

Oh I didn't want to stress you!:?
There is plenty of time this evening before bed. Keep a close eye on Theo, make a note of symptoms and if you think things are progressing then you have options to go somewhere this eve.
It could just be an ear infection or tooth issue and so tomorrow will be fine.

Don't worry! I'm glad you told me. :) I will do, thanks lets hope so. x

Been looking around and I probably panicked toobsoon focussing on th EC comment:oops:
Jane is much more knowledgable and what I've read matches her thoughts. I'm so so sorry:oops:
Will be keeping everything crossed for tomorrow for Theo and you xx

gBeen looking around and I probably panicked toobsoon focussing on th EC comment:oops:
Jane is much more knowledgable and what I've read matches her thoughts. I'm so so sorry:oops:
Will be keeping everything crossed for tomorrow for Theo and you xx

Dont worry about it, EC was my first thought too and with what happened to your bun youre bound to have worried. Glad he was ok. :) Thanks x

Just been out to feed the buns and Theo is eating fine :shock: No head tilt. :? :)

I still have him booked in for his appointment this afternoon, do you think it is still worth going to get him checked out? I dont want to waste the vet or my parents' time if theres no need for him to be seen. What would you do in this situation?

Can you film him? Maybe someone (i.e. ummm...Jane) will be able to advise you better?

Vibes.

xxx

I would still get him checked out. Occasional Head Tilting can be the symptoms of many things. He could mibbe have an Ear Infection at early stages and a vet check could get treatment quick smart :)

Back