• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what's the best way to get powder inside a rabbit's mouth?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
I need to get some pure bromelain powder inside a rabbit mouth, as the powder won't dissolve with juice. This is tablet smashed into powder, so how would you get that inside a rabbit's mouth to break down any furball?

As she's in a GI stasis, so if I put it on top of veggies, she won't eat it.

A small amount of mashed banana, puréed veg or mushed pellets. I had a bun who had to have a crushed tablet daily, I mixed a tiny bit of baby rice and mixed it in, it didn't dissolve but syringes fine. Not sure now if rice is best but can u get readybrek (fine, instant, porridge type breakfast cereal?

But if her gut isn't working not sure how helpful it will be.

Is Castor Oil used still?

A little organix or Ella's kitchen baby food (veggie ones) just put a tiny bit on a teaspoon first and see if your bun will lick it off teaspoon. (Mine love the Ellas' carrot one). If your bun does love it, then try mixing the powder in with half a teaspoon. Some buns don't like syringe feeding, but will happily lick off a spoon, and is less stressful.

What is the powder for? If she is in stasis, has the vet given her an injection of gut stimulant?

I'll try banana next time. I never try the spoon as in the past 10+ yr., when a bun has a GI stasis, they won't eat anything, so I don't expect my bun to lick anything off a spoon. Thanks

I think it is a good idea to have 1 to 2 bottle of organic baby food on stand by. Great idea, thanks

The powder is crushed pure bromelain, as around this time every year, she shed a lot of fur, and eventhough I wet my hand and get the fur off, she still have a Gi stasis. Most likely from licking too much shed fur in her stomach

Back