• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

will she ever be ready to bond?

avjones1704

Young Bun
Hi just looking for a bit of advice really!

I visited a rescue last night and I've adopted an 8month old Netherland Dwarf, she's gorgeous! She'd been in the rescue for 5months so I couldn't bring myself to leave her alone!

The woman told be that they had attempted to bond her with a number of buns but she just doesn't accept them. Does this mean that she'll always want to be on her own? Could it be that she's still quite young? Also, she's not been spayed and I fully intend to do that as soon as possible, do you think this would help the situation?

I don't mind just having one bun; however, after speaking to people on here I now feel it would be good to try and get her a friend at some point.

Thanks

Aw, lucky girl that you took her on.

Getting her spayed is definitely the first thing to do, and then 8 weeks post spay it would be worth maybe taking her dating and allowing her to choose her own friend. However, nethies can be very challenging to bond due to their independent and cheeky nature. Depending on why she ended up in a rescue, she may also have fear issues with other rabbits. It may also be that the method the rescue used to try and bond her just didn't suit her (maybe she needs a slow bonding method for example).

Equally, she may just not have met the right bunny for her.

But if she is inside and you're happy to have her as a single then at least she has that, even if she doesn't yet want another bunny friend :)

Ah thanks for that. I just don't want her to be miserable! I will keep her alone until she is spayed and settled and then maybe try her again and see how she reacts

Awh sweet that you rehomed her after she had been in rescue for 5 months :love: sounds like she is settling in well. I have a mini lop doe we have had her for over two years...I'd love to find her a pal too but I'm worried she wont like it! x

My Snowdrop hates other bunnies to the point of self harming if she can see another bun!

Some rabbits just like to be alone!

Back