• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wild rabbit warren set out

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have information on the set out of a wild warren, chambers, positioning, etc? Even better would be information on how to replicate it at home/indoors :thumb:

I suppose you could say I've done this under my bed. I've got those B&Q folding crates and have them set up a bit like this...

89aced95-e53b-48ba-9f51-2ba676ae5ab5_zps396876fe.jpg

(Absolutely, definitely, entirely NOT to scale!)

So they have one wide tunnel where they tend to sleep and then a couple of criss crossing smaller tunnels.

Thats pretty much what I was planning to do, under the bed is a perfect warren space :thumb: do you find it easy to clean/take apart?

My biggest issue is getting Smudge out when we have to go to the vets :lol: But as it's just crates I can just take them out and put them on the bed. Then I hoover the carpet that's underneath when it needs a clean, I either hoover it while it's under the bed or pull the carpet out and hoover it. For day to day cleaning I tend to get the dustpan and brush out and sweep up poops every three or four days. They tend to keep it quite clean under there. I guess naturally they wouldn't pee and poop in their burrow. The only time I had an issue keeping it clean was when Mischa was ill as he would get lazy and not bother going to the tray. So I put thick blankets under there and changed them regularly. It works well, they nearly always sleep under there.

ETA. With those crates I have to put something in them and fill them up or they can push on the smaller side of the crate and it just folds in and they get stuck inside. I use those because they are a perfect height to fit under the bed and not leave a big enough gap for them to jump in.

we just have one of our 'normal' bun chalets (see other posts) and on the floor level put in lots of the black tunnels you can get from runaround and some cardboard boxes. Hide the whole thing under hay and put ramps etc for them to get up to the other levels (though tbh if they want to go somewhere they dont need a ramp).

I think the biggest 'surprise' we have had is how much they climb - so they are always climbing straight up the sides of anything they are in - more like squirrels than rabbits.

change of plan as they aren't going into my bedroom, but I think I'm going to run tunnels around the edge of the room and behind the furniture (that can be moved!) as well as plenty of boxes. Scary squirell buns!

change of plan as they aren't going into my bedroom, but I think I'm going to run tunnels around the edge of the room and behind the furniture (that can be moved!) as well as plenty of boxes. Scary squirell buns!

Thats the wildies that are squirrel buns - re-reading your post I wonder if you mean warrens that replicate wild buns warrens but actually for 'normal' domestic buns -

my domestics are ok at leaping and climbing but nothing like the wildies - who really do just climb up anything - we once put them in an upturned 5ft high chicken wired aviary run for a few moments whilst we sorted out their own roofed run - when we turned back to look after a couple of minutes they had just climbed straight up the meshed side and leapt out - (as it was upside down with the roof on the floor whilst we moved it).

Thats the wildies that are squirrel buns - re-reading your post I wonder if you mean warrens that replicate wild buns warrens but actually for 'normal' domestic buns -

my domestics are ok at leaping and climbing but nothing like the wildies - who really do just climb up anything - we once put them in an upturned 5ft high chicken wired aviary run for a few moments whilst we sorted out their own roofed run - when we turned back to look after a couple of minutes they had just climbed straight up the meshed side and leapt out - (as it was upside down with the roof on the floor whilst we moved it).

:shock:

yes the warren would be for my pair, they love going under a chair in their room (whether thats just being under something or if its playing with the blanket over it I don't know) so figured they'd like a warren system :)

wow :shock: I wonder if "normal" wild rabbits climb :?

yes the warren would be for my pair, they love going under a chair in their room (whether thats just being under something or if its playing with the blanket over it I don't know) so figured they'd like a warren system :)

wow :shock: I wonder if "normal" wild rabbits climb :?

I remember thumps linking to a video of wildies climbing up brambles to get to the leaves.

Back