• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

*Sensitve* Our bun died in the night

bunbun5

Young Bun
Hi, Our newly bonded rescue bun died last night and I am unsure why?
She had seemed fine until last night but did not greet me when I brought out her veg last night. I knew something was wrong as she had just snuggled down in the straw and didn't eat.

Yesterday she and her partner went for a supervised run on the lawn whilst we cleaned out their hutch and we think she may have eaten a ground ivy leaf that we missed. Could this have killed her? If it did it seems to have happened really quickly.

Looking back she did have a few unusual poos last wk but no other symptoms.

Anyone know more about the effects of ivy or advice on what next to do would be appreciated.

Thank you
Sheena

I am sorry :cry:

Small poo is indicative of the guts slowing down. Obviously it is impossible to say for certain what happened, a PM may give you some answers and personally I always opt for a PM in cases of 'sudden death', especially if there are other Rabbits who may be effected.

A small amount of Ivy is unlikely to cause problems for most Rabbits, but there are always exceptions to the rule. From what you have described it sounds as though Gut Stasis was involved and there is some information about this on the following link :

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Again, I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

I am sorry :cry:

Small poo is indicative of the guts slowing down. Obviously it is impossible to say for certain what happened, a PM may give you some answers and personally I always opt for a PM in cases of 'sudden death', especially if there are other Rabbits who may be effected.

A small amount of Ivy is unlikely to cause problems for most Rabbits, but there are always exceptions to the rule. From what you have described it sounds as though Gut Stasis was involved and there is some information about this on the following link :

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Again, I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

Exactly what I was thinking. My bunnies occasionally nibble bits of ivy and it does them no harm so it probably wasn't that. Gut issues sounds much more likely as Jane has said. I'm very sorry for your loss. Sleep tight little one.

so sorry for your loss. My rabbit died last friday from gut stasis although we dont know what caused it initially' he was same as you describe off food and looking a bit fed up laying in his bed on the tuesday night took him vets weds thinking it was gut stasis, It is alarmingly commin and even with the most clued up owner and the very best veterinary care gut stasis is a very unpredictable.

Back