• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I or shouldnt I ?!

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Hello all.Im wondering whether to bring one of my bonded pairs indoors to live.The female Harriet is a little lop with some behaviour issues.She was found as a stray with bad injuries and pulled through and Iadopted her from a rescue.She is partially blind and finds human company intolerable but she is besotted with her husbun-also a rescue,he was a neglected house bunny but is a soft sweet little boy.Harriet is definately the boss-no suprise there-but because she is very obsessed and posessive of him its hard for me to form a bond with him properly meaning he really totally relies on her for interaction.They are VERY close .He is deaf and parially blind also but I feel his life is alittle too insular as he has enjoyed human interaction in the past.Hes learning to be intolerant of humans too which is ashame.They could have their own room in my house.They live in a large shed with run attached at the moment.Does anyone think bringing them in would redress the balance?He would be fine im sure but Idont know if she would be too stressed.It might do her good but when upset she chases and mounts Casper alot.Any thoughts would be great as I think Casper needs more out of life.

That certainly sounds like a hard one as it seems like from what you have said that it is in Harriet's best interest to remain outside but might help Casper to have human socialization. That seems like a decision that will benefit one or the other.
Is there anyway that you could leave them outside for now but spend some more time with them in the shed?
Mainly I wanted to bump this up for you so someone who know more than me might see this.

Thanks for your reply Bunnytoes.I have been trying to spend as much time as poss with them but when I enter the shed Harriet herds Casper into the far corner and being the complient bun he is he sits with her sort of hunched up like worried buns do with Harriet giving me evils:roll:All dribery is refused.He isnt all that confident due to his deafness and partial sight and he is totally reliant on Harriet for mental and physical direction which due to her obsessive nature i find worrying.She does adore him though showering him with kisses and keeping him warm!He is alittle slow and isnt the strongest bunny but has come on along way thanks to Harriet(with abit of help from me and the vet!)They have been bonded for a year.Casper is gorgeous and when I CAN get near him he accepts nose rubs with toothpurrs although alittle nervous.Ilove them both to bits but dont know what to do to bring out Caspers full potential and keep Harriet as happy as she is now.

I think this is one of those weigh it up things.

Are you doing it for the right reasons, eg, the bunnies, or are you doing it for yourself, so you can see them more, as they are indoors and so no need to worry about weather etc.

If it will be beneficial to the bunnies, great, do it, but if its just because you want the to like/love you, the that isn't necessarily the right reason, but in the other hand, is it to keep an eye on their health etc.

Lots to consider, remember you would need to bunny proof, and what if a change of territory upset their bond? Along with how they would cope apart from that, with what will be a massive change of setup :)

Good luck!

Many thanks for the replies.Ihave taken everything onboard and I think Im going to leave things as they are for now at least.They are happy and thats the most important thing.When the weather improves they will be out alot more (they have the choice to go out any time during the day but like to sit under their heatlamp in the shed in the cold weather)and Casper enjoys outside time in the warmer weather.Thanks again:)

Back