• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vetbed and other things to help Alice's sore hocks

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Absolutely breaking my heart at the moment, I know she is in pain with it as she is limping and sometimes holds her foot off the floor :cry:
I'm pretty sure its been caused by moving them into their new room as it has a different type of carpet than their used to.
Yesterday I covered the room in fleece blankets as I heard this can help, but by the time I woke up this morning they were creased in the corner (Bear like's to dig). I was considering getting some vetbed, it obviously wont cover their whole room but I was thinking of putting it down where they like to rest.Will it be thick enough for Bear not to dig and scrunch up? I've never seen it before.
Has anyone else got any ideas that could help her?
She obviously has cream that I'm applying twice a day and pain relief, we will also be taking her back to the vets this week if no improvement.

hmm im afraid i dont know but didnt want to read and run. charlie had sore hocks for awhile but now he seems to spend most of his time on the laminate floor in the kitchen(where the food is:roll:) so they are ok now. sorry im not much help:(

Sorry to hear about your poor bunnies feet, yes unfortunately some types of carpet can cause carpet burns.

I use profleece, you can buy it on line, it comes in different sizes or you can get a large piece and/or cut it to the size you want. I have a large piece in my dining room and it covers a large area of the wooden floor. I also have a few smaller bits for their favourite sleeping places.

Awww, poor Alice. :( Is the skin broken or is it just red and inflamed? It sounds quite sore for her, bless her, if she's holding her foot off the floor.

Alfie has one sore hock & it's only very minor so I'm not the best to advise really. We've managed to keep on top of the problem just by adjusting the flooring he's on and making sure the nails are kept short (both of these help to take pressure off the hock when they're resting). We're using foam flooring (the kids' safety mats), with very thick fleece in the spots that he favours for resting but I believe other people have had to experiment with lots of things to find what works best.

There are a few threads on sore hock in the Old Useful Topics sticky that might be of help while you're waiting for others with more expertise to come along. :D

Foam mats are really good for buns with poorly hocks as the nails sink into the foam so less pressure is on the heel.

Its just very very red at the moment, but I'm concerned as she's holding her foot off the floor so obviously sore for her.
I had foam mats before, Bear likes to eat them unfortunately!!
Fleece blankets are no good as he digs in them and they end up screwed up in the corner.
Which is why I'm thinking vetbed, is it thick enough like a rug for him not to dig up?

Has the vet seen it? Is it sore looking? Any chance its infected at all? She may need antibiotics. Mr Fluff's were really bad at one point and dressings on them really helped (actually had some yoga matting for padding in there)

Bedding wise, yes vetbed works really well. Fleece not so much for the reasons you've described. My vet recommended the foam mats/ yoga matting, and our best combination was actually that topped with vetbed. Once the dressings were off and he was mostly healed, that and the occassional bit of sudocrem kept them really well.

Hope that helps a little

Yea the vet has seen it, we have cream an pain killers for her.
It's not seemed to get any better so have decided to move them back downstairs today until we can get the carpet up and a better flooring down in there room.
Bear also has it now to ergh! His is no where near Alice's though so have just got the sudocream out .

How sore do Bear's hocks look? It's quite common for bunnies to have pinky-coloured callouses on their heels; they can go on to become sore hocks if they become reddened, crack or bleed but, as you're already looking at flooring for Honey, you should be able to avoid them worsening so (if it is just a callous) I would just monitor.

If it is very minor, I wouldn't personally put any cream or anything on as it can flatten the surrounding fur (which at the moment will be cushioning the sore area) and make the problem worse. If you can get a photo, we would be able to advise more though. :D

Hi honeybear. I have this problem with one of my older bunnies who has lots of other problems as well. Atm I am using newborn tote socks. Yes, it sounds strange, but they help a bit. She does not wear them all the time and doesn't seem to mind. I use vet beds but not rubber backed as her other half thinks its for eating!! Hope this helps a bit.

Back