• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Booked Belle's spay. Post spay advice.

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
I have booked my dd's Bunny Belle's spay for next wednesday, I feel sick. She is my dd's bunny and she loves her to bits. The thought of losing her makes me want to vomit. My dd knows the risks involved but the pro's far outweigh these.

Just wondering what post spay care eg painkillers and keeping her as comfortable as possible advice people can give me. I have only had my two boys deplumed and know this is alot more serious operation than that. My vet uses glue instead of staples/sitches.

My vet has advised me to bring some of her favorite food to tempt her to eat afterwards. Plus give her a nice breakfast before bringing her in :D.

She is a indoor rabbit so will be in for post spay care so we can watch her carefully.

Hi

Metacam is a must as they will feel sore. Also because underneeath they will be feeling sore so no hay or straw on the floor, use towels and fleece blankets.

When she is home, try to tempt her with her favourite food although it may take her til the following day til she starts feeling better.

Makesure you take a lunchbox with some food and treats when you drop her off at the vets.

Oh and keep her confined to a smaller area and only one story height(no ramps etc) otherwise it can aggreivate the wound.

I think thats it and good luck :)

Basics:

- Don't starve pre-op
- Make sure they have pain medication for at least seven days
- Make sure they are eating before they come home
- Get it done early week so if any complications arise you won't be paying for an out of hours visit
- Have some supplies ready for when they return (favourite treats, fruit juice, syringes, Critical Care etc)
- Don't use bedding that may stick to the wound, use towels or fleece until it scabs over at least
- Check the wound every day
- Clean enclosure out whilst she's away so you won't have to disturb her whilst she's recovering

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice everyone.

We have bought her a pet bed mat to line her floor with (normally this is done with hay she likes to make herself little nests) and some fleece blankets.

Thank you for the advice everyone.

We have bought her a pet bed mat to line her floor with (normally this is done with hay she likes to make herself little nests) and some fleece blankets.

Thats good :)

Also, just put some hay in a little pile so if she fancies some, she won't get her wound irritated if it was just laying on the floor.

Back