• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will our buck her buck hurt our new doe?

neil_trent

New Kit
Hello all,

We've had a buck for about 5 months and after having been told he'd be better alone, we decided to get him a companion after reading everywhere they rarely want to be on their own. He's now about 8-10 months and an average size I would say.

We've just purchased a you doe (told she was around 10 weeks) and introduced them. They seem to get on very well with both approaching the other equally/no fighting etc. After getting them out of the cage and allowing them to roam free in the house the male attempted to mate the female several times - interrupted of course!

He's been neutered for about 5 weeks, so we're not worried about babies and will spay her when she's old enough, but are worried that as a fully grown male, he may hurt the little girl. If so, should we wait until she's fully grown if she's going to be with a fully grown male or will she be fine?

Any advice would be great,

Many thanks.

Neil

Hi Neil, Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your newest bunny addition :D

It's preferable to wait until both are at least 6-8 weeks post spay/neuter so it would be better to wait and bond them once she is spayed, yes :)

This is an article I wrote about bonding which may be worth a read.

:wave: Welcome

I'm not an expert bunny keeper and I'm sure someone will be along to answer your question. I have a large Male californian Rex who the rescue bonded with a very small female lionhead cross. I was really worried for her but they are fine. I think it's best to leave bonding until they have both been neutered though?

Good luck and can we see some pictures?:)

Thank you very much.

We'll keep them apart for now then. We've put them in neighboring cages and will let them out together under close mounting-watch. We've looked back and he'll be 6 weeks post-op this Wednesday, but will keep them apart until she's a bit bigger and has been spayed.

They did seem to get on very well until that though, so fingers crossed for the future.

Thanks again,

Neil

Back