• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How big for 2 mini lop bunnies?

Hi :)
I'm building my rabbit cage in Feburary for my two (future!) mini lops. How big will it need to be? I'm thinking a 30" (Width) by 76" (Length) and (it's equivelant to a 2 x 6 c & c cage) with maybe an upper level :) Is this big enough, or does it need to be bigger? There also going to get floor time for most of the day. Thanks for any answers x :wave:

Hi :)
I'm building my rabbit cage in Feburary for my two (future!) mini lops. How big will it need to be? I'm thinking a 30" (Width) by 76" (Length) and (it's equivelant to a 2 x 6 c & c cage) with maybe an upper level :) Is this big enough, or does it need to be bigger? There also going to get floor time for most of the day. Thanks for any answers x :wave:

Well, it depends exactly how much free-range time they will get. If they are going to be out around 16 hours or more a day, then a 12sqft cage will be adequate (that is 6x2ft). If they are going to be in the cage longer than 8 hours in a 24 hour period, you will need a bigger cage. The Rabbit Welfare Association minimum is here: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm They recommend 24 hour access to an enclosure 44sqft or more, but it is generally considered acceptable to keep the rabbits in 12sqft (6x2ft hutch) overnight if necessary, but for as little time as possible, as the times that we are asleep are actually the times when they are the most active and need the most space!

If you are doing upper levels, bear in mind that ramps take away floor space from both the top and bottom floors.

Back