• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded pair fighting

elmoandfern

Mama Doe
My bunnies have been bonded for almost 2 months now (male and female, both neutered) and usually get along fine, however my little boy Elmo constantly humps fern and although she just runs away I do feel a bit sorry for her. I have tried to make their shed as interesting as possible to keep them both busy, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. This morning I found quite a bit of rabbit fur on the floor (from both bunnies) and I'm not sure whether I should be worried? Neither one is injured. I do find a clump of two every so often and I think this is normal? It was just a bit more today and indicated she had had enough and nipped him back! :( is there anything I can do to prevent them falling out completely?? Thanks :)

Last edited:
just checked on them again and they are still ok, but elmo is chasing her around and humping her like mad! :( any help please?

i took elmo myself yes, almost 2 years ago. fern was from the rspca and was already spayed when i adopted her :)

forgot to say, she was adopted november 2011 so also quite a long time ago

What size space do they have? It might be that the space has been too much too soon - some bonded pairs take a while to settle down and need to be kept in a reasonably small space, increasing the space very gradually every couple of days, before they can live together in something like a shed. If they hadn't quite got things fully settled early on, adding new things to make it interesting might actually be making them worse because one of them could be getting territorial over them. I would suggest going back to basics, treating them as if you are bonding them right now and reducing their space right down, to see if they settle and start snuggling in a smaller space (ideally supervised for a couple of days), and then slowly increase it again.

What size space do they have? It might be that the space has been too much too soon - some bonded pairs take a while to settle down and need to be kept in a reasonably small space, increasing the space very gradually every couple of days, before they can live together in something like a shed. If they hadn't quite got things fully settled early on, adding new things to make it interesting might actually be making them worse because one of them could be getting territorial over them. I would suggest going back to basics, treating them as if you are bonding them right now and reducing their space right down, to see if they settle and start snuggling in a smaller space (ideally supervised for a couple of days), and then slowly increase it again.

This is what I had to do when I brought my 2 bunnys home I put them straight into a brand new house which was 12x4 and they kept chasing each other and pulling fur so I got in touch with the lady that bonded them for me and was advised to close down the space I made it down to about 3ft and gradually opened it up a little at a time over about 7/10 days and they been fab since :)

i did originally have them in a smaller space, and then a coop for a month and they went into the shed just before christmas - should i still reduce it again? i cant supervise them as they are outside and i just worry that if they have less space then fern will have nowhere to escape to!

Well when spring fever arrives I have to add more tunnels and stools etc so they can get out the way of each other tryin to hump all the time :wave:

Back