• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bortadella bronchiseptica

AnnieElms

Mama Doe
I now have two bunnies with active bortadella bronchiseptica infection (confirmed by nasal swabs). Bunny has had it longest and can't shake it off, but copes well with his snuffle nose. We have tried baytril, marbocyl and septrin on him (long courses), and he just continues to snuffle. Poppy has only recently got her sniffly nose, and I don't want it to get like Bunny's, ie constant, I want to nip it in the bud.

Does anyone else have a bun with this infection, and can you let me know what meds you had success with? And length of course etc? I am considering asking about nebulisation, but I know that neither of them would cope very well with that, so want to explore oral meds fully first.

My bun has this. Usually she is OK, with just the odd sneeze, but it can get much worse.

Thing that helped most was a long course of antibiotics given by injection. Sorry, I can't remember the name just now, but it starts with D.

:wave: Hi there. I know you really want to ask about ABx.

Just want to say that the thing which really helps my bun (pasteurella,but applies to all snuffles) was a saline nebuliser, metacam, & then bisolvon when it was under control. The key is getting all the gunk out of the sinuses, which really helps the ABx to work.
Good luck.

I have 2 of mine with this. We've tried all the same meds as you for 18 months now with no improvement. Since Christmas I stopped the abx and have just given Bisolven which they drink off a saucer of apple juice and metacam.
It may be a coincidence but they no longer sneeze white mucus and Munchkin's drippy nose is nearly dry :D

Thanks. Was it depicillin? I might ask the vet about injections.

Yeah, it was Depocillin. She still sneezes now, but the white discharge isn't usually too bad. If the sneezing gets too bad, she gets a prolonged course of antibiotics. Oh, and metacam.

She is indoors, doesn't do too good living outside, which is a shame cause she loves it. Gets to play out in the summer though.

I might try the bisolvon with her too, if the sneezing gets worse.

Don't think she will ever be "better", but she isn't too ill just now.

My other buns have all had a shot of having a snuffly nose, with sneezing. Thankfully, most of them get better with a dose of antibiotics.

Yeah, it was Depocillin. She still sneezes now, but the white discharge isn't usually too bad. If the sneezing gets too bad, she gets a prolonged course of antibiotics. Oh, and metacam.

She is indoors, doesn't do too good living outside, which is a shame cause she loves it. Gets to play out in the summer though.

I might try the bisolvon with her too, if the sneezing gets worse.

Don't think she will ever be "better", but she isn't too ill just now.

My other buns have all had a shot of having a snuffly nose, with sneezing. Thankfully, most of them get better with a dose of antibiotics.

:wave: Hi weedug,
Bisolvon is fantastic for Benjie. at 1st. he couldn't sneeze out the discharge very easily & got in an awful state clawing at his nose. With bisolvon he can get it out in 1 or 2 sneezes it's so much thinner. Trouble is he cleans up within a second so I don't know how much is coming out.

One member whose rabbit has has severe snuffles found he went into gut slow down immediately after starting it. The vet felt that the problem was that the sinus was completely blocked. Bisolvon increases thin mucus secretion & may have caused more pain from the blocked sinus by increasing pressure.

That's why I suggest a saline nebuliser. It also thins mucus well, starting at the nasal side of the sinuses, doesn't cause bacterial overgrowth/resistance, & can be given on your knee without a chamber. Also you can make up your own.
Here's Benjie having his saline nebuliser. I just had to prop his chin up a bit, & he was quite unphased by it.
DSCF0051.jpg

Back