• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unexpected baby bunnies

Jessie/Woody

New Kit
Hi this is my first time on here and would like some advice if someone can help me. My rabbit Jessie had baby's on Monday (which we were not expecting) luckily my partner had picked her up on Sunday night (very hard to do as she does not like to be picked up, loves cuddles but only when she jumps on your lap) and noticed her stomach was huge and split them both up. (We thought we had 2 girls :oops:) I was going to sort her out a nesting box on the Monday morning but woke up to find 5 little babys so they are in the hutch in a nest Jessie made for them. My worry is with the cold weather that is forecast will they be ok? and is there anything I can do to help? The nest she has made is full of fur and does look very warm if I do say so myself and all babys seem to be doing well at the minute but I am very worried about how cold it could get out there. I tried a towel but she just urinated all over it till it was soaking :( Also is there anything I should be doing with the babys, checks etc? Thanks x

I experienced the same thing with my girl in October, picked her up on the Sunday and new she was pregnant and she gave birth on the Monday night.

From my experience (first accidental litter) I just made sure there is loads of hay in the nest area it does get worrying because of the cold weather but Jessie will make sure the nest is warm and secure.

All you can really do is keep checking the nest everyday and that all kits are in there.. some can keep latched onto the mom after feeding and get dragged out of the nest accidentally you see. I made sure I checked on them twice a day.

Read more here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

Good Luck :wave:

Thank you for the advice :) I Have put loads of hay in for her (although she is picky so I have to put it into the other part of the hutch and she takes it in to the "bedroom") I have just been out and had a check on her and she has moved some and put it around the nest so at least that is a good sign. Thank you for the link I will have a read through now. Thank you again :)

Thank you for the advice :) I Have put loads of hay in for her (although she is picky so I have to put it into the other part of the hutch and she takes it in to the "bedroom") I have just been out and had a check on her and she has moved some and put it around the nest so at least that is a good sign. Thank you for the link I will have a read through now. Thank you again :)

No worries!! :thumb:

Thank you, I've just been having a read through :) I don't know how I missed it its at the top of the Health page lol. Other half is home on Friday so he's going to try and make the hutch warmer as when I just checked the weather we are expecting snow :|. Jessie seems happy and babys are warm and have round bellys so all looks well, Jessie even let me take a photo of them to send to the other half :)

Thank you again xx

Ooh this happened to me this morning! I bought my hutch inside because I was worried also! U seem to be doing fantastic! Xxx

Thank you, I've just been out to check on them all seem to be doing great :) Although I'm sure I counted 5 and when I've counted this morning there's 6 :) Jessie has added more fur to the nest and the baby's seem lovely and snug. I Wish I could bring them inside but the hutch is actually a converted large dog kennel and theres no chance I can lift it plus I have to little boys (5 and 6) who would no doubt not leave them alone (I'm already having to keep the back door key hidden so they cant go out lol) Does anyone know when it's best to clean the hutch as the nest it's self is dry but the hay underneath is damp? xx

just a quick thought-when taking pics dont use the flash at this point as its not good for them this young :) good lucck though sounds like your doing great!

If memory serves me right I think you can clean out the nest area roughly around 10-14 days? :)

If your Jessie has a good temper you might be able to clean out the rest of the hutch but that area beforehand? Missy didn't mind me cleaning out the bottom half of her hutch but I didn't touch the nest until at 15 days, at this time they moved into a shed anyway so it came at a good time. I kept some of the nest that had no poop in to put the kits back in after cleaning it out :thumb:

Its so hard, I just want to have a little cuddle off them but I can wait. I can have cuddles off Jessie and Woody for now. They are getting cuter by the day :love:

Hi just to give everyone an update on the baby's all 6 doing well with a lovely furry coat, the temperature dropped to -9 last night so where not moving round as much but where snuggled all together. Jessie seems to have what can only be described as squishy smelly poo? I have been giving her more carrots than normal could this be why? She's still eating but is eating more hay than dry food? X

Hi just to give everyone an update on the baby's all 6 doing well with a lovely furry coat, the temperature dropped to -9 last night so where not moving round as much but where snuggled all together. Jessie seems to have what can only be described as squishy smelly poo? I have been giving her more carrots than normal could this be why? She's still eating but is eating more hay than dry food? X

Yes, I would stop feeding carrots as the high sugar content could cause serious gut problems. Dark leafy greens can help promote milk production, so if she is used to green you could offer her some of those. But I'd leave her off all Veg for at least 24 hours to allow her guts to settle down

Back