• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with sudden hair loss on back **PHOTOS**

R.P.B.G.G

Mama Doe
Has anyone experienced rabbits with sudden hair loss on their backs?

My sister in laws indoor rabbit Rolo (intact, booked for neuter 28th Dec) single rabbit, about 7-8 months old (off the top of my head) no other rabbits or pets in the house, good diet, allowed free range when they are in, in an penned off area when out, has suddenly lost a large area of fur on his back,
He was vaccinated about 2-3months ago, (off the top of my head)
They said his fur slowly started coming out over the last few days, and now tonight loads is coming out and his skin is red raw and the pics they have sent me, their is obvious flakey skin, and fur is completely gone, no visible regrowth (from photo)

Ive mentioned mites and maybe an old wound, but what else could it be?

He allows them to touch it, and I asked her to check in his ears and they are all clear.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
He gets the same hay and feed as all ours, because we buy in bulk from farm shop, none of ours are showing any signs of mites, that ive noticed, its big clean out day tomorrow, so will give them all thorough checking over,
She said she gave him a hay cookie last week,

Where could he have picked mites up from, anywhere?

Thank you both, he is going to the vets, regardless, such a sudden loss needs checking,
Jane,
You should so be a vet!

My late bun Rio caught mites he lost the hair on the back of his neck,he was a house rabbit the vet said they can come in on the hay.She said we should freeze the hay for 24 hours before giving it to the buns, he never had any problems with them after that.

Roloback2_zps2c0795dc.jpg

Roloback1_zps77abd3a3.jpg

Although skin doesnt look so red in photos Sophie does say its red raw

He is quite happy, binkying around

Yep Rio's neck looked the same although his was more the size of a ten pence piece,A couple of injections at the vets and frozen hay given later and he was fine,his wifey bun Cleo was also treated though she showed no symptoms.One drawer of my freezer was always packed with hay for the rabbits,.:)

Rolo got on well at the vets (apart from tearing her arms to pieces when she tried to lift and check his underside,
He is being treated for mites,

He is back there in a week (ish) for his neuter, so they will give him a check up then

I need a huge walk in freezer then! :shock: We keep bales of hay in bulk, checked all our buns, so far no sign of any mites,
Sophie is around many other animals, cats and dogs, so (as horrible as it sounds) I hope its them and not the hay :cry:

Edited,
Thank you everyone for your help

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on how many buns you have and what you need to feed them in day. I had two house buns so A normal freezer was fine.I suppose you just have to be vigilant as regards mites etc otherwise.

Back