• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Echinacea for rabbits?

elaine84

Warren Scout
Hi I bought some echinacea drops for some immunity support for one of my buns but she won't drink the water when it has it in! It must be because it has alcohol in? This is what I bought: http://m.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1421&prodid=1332&cid=16
How can I get her to drink it? And what's the correct dosage in a normal crock/ rabbit bowl of water?
I thought I could boil the alcohol off but it might ruin the echinacea? Or maybe mix something else in the water too but she's quite fussy with what flavours she likes lol.
Is it too concentrated to syringe feed?
Help please! :)

:wave: I used to use that one for my Santa - she LOVED it and would snatch the syringe out of my hand for it. I don't think it would be the alcohol as there is such a tiny amount it is barely there, I suspect it's more either that she just doesn't like it or is protesting that her water doesn't taste 'normal'. I used to mix a drop or two in with a syringefull of water (and I would mix Santa's bisolvon or metronidazole in with it too when she was on meds) and she would happily lap it out of the syringe. It might be worth trying it a different way and seeing if she will take it when it's not in her water.

Can you maybe put it on kale of some greens.... Floppy took all his meds this way and he licked the bowl clean!!,

Can you maybe put it on kale of some greens.... Floppy took all his meds this way and he licked the bowl clean!!,

I could try this but would it be too concentrated compared to diluting in water? Not sure how much to give. I put 3 drops in the water and she won't go near it!

Hmmm? Unsure, i put some water in a bowl, moistened the kale and put meds on it , then mixed it all in.. Perhaps echinicea is a bit too pungent.. Sorry, I have never used it ????

Good luck
fee x

:wave: I used to use that one for my Santa - she LOVED it and would snatch the syringe out of my hand for it. I don't think it would be the alcohol as there is such a tiny amount it is barely there, I suspect it's more either that she just doesn't like it or is protesting that her water doesn't taste 'normal'. I used to mix a drop or two in with a syringefull of water (and I would mix Santa's bisolvon or metronidazole in with it too when she was on meds) and she would happily lap it out of the syringe. It might be worth trying it a different way and seeing if she will take it when it's not in her water.

Thanks I might try syringing as she's good with that :) she might start to accept the taste after a while as she's done that with other things like metacam and loves that now!

I found that both the echinacea with alcohol & that with alcohol extracted lost it's effectiveness after 10 -14 days.
(I take Benjie's left overs for different reasons!)
I now open the gelatin capsules (approx 800mg /capsue) & give 1 pinch of the powder daily.
Much easier to give on a herb leaf too. ;)

I would say that's a issue for your veterinary. You could possibly discover a enhance that contains something identical for opposition especially for rabbits.

Last edited:
I would say that's a issue for your veterinary. You could possibly discover a enhance that contains something identical for opposition especially for rabbits.

Hi & welcome to RU.:wave:
I'm assuming that you're not in the UK. Our vets are not taught, & not allowed, to advise about herbal supplements to the diet. They are not classed as medicines in this country, although some do have medical effects.

I wonder whether you are using a computer translator?? Your second sentence doesn't make sense in English. Could you please try again using different wording?

Back