• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gunky eyes UD it's gone!

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Mini's got gunky eyes this morning, one side is worse than the other. Is it possible for this to happen from overgrooming? Her nose is fine, no sneezing that I've heard and it's been quite sudden to appear. She had slightly gunky eyes a week or two back but it disappeared as quick as it came. Smudge is very persistant and enthusiastic when grooming and tends to go for the eyes mainly. Could he have made them water more than usual?

I'm going to clean them up and see what they are like tomorrow but I'll probably be taking her to the vets to check she's ok.

ETA. I've cleaned them up and had a better look and they aren't sore, just wet.

Last edited:
Yes, eye overgrooming by another Rabbit can cause problems. It can sometimes cause corneal abrasions. Personally I'd want this possibility checked out as corneal abrasions can lead to ulcer formation. These can be very problematic and also very painful

In my experience if one Rabbit pays a lot of attention to the eyes of another Rabbit it is often indicative of a problem with the eyes of the Rabbit being over-groomed. So again I would want a Vet check for the Rabbit.

Yes, eye overgrooming by another Rabbit can cause problems. It can sometimes cause corneal abrasions. Personally I'd want this possibility checked out as corneal abrasions can lead to ulcer formation. These can be very problematic and also very painful

In my experience if one Rabbit pays a lot of attention to the eyes of another Rabbit it is often indicative of a problem with the eyes of the Rabbit being over-groomed. So again I would want a Vet check for the Rabbit.

He does it with Nutmeg too, she does have snuffles but it doesn't usually affect her eyes but maybe that's cos Smudge grooms it!

I'll sort out a trip for Mini tomorrow. :thumb:

I second this. Biscuit pays a lot of attention to Ginger's poorly eyes.

Perhaps a quick chat with Mark might be an idea to start? :)

Vibes for Mini anyway!

Got an appointment for the morning :) they look fine now but I'm still taking her. I have a little niggle that her hip is hurting a bit too as sometimes she holds it slightly weirdly.

My bunny had a fault in his eyelid, it was too long and irritated his eye, and a gunky eye was always the first sign that he was getting another infection, followed by a damp patch under it. Well worth getting it looked at before it gets worse.

Is this stupid? Tell me I'mvbeing stupid. I've just looked at the date, I'm not sure i can take her tomorrow. I might break down in the waiting room. Mark's fully booked Friday, so you think it'll be ok for next week?

Is this stupid? Tell me I'mvbeing stupid. I've just looked at the date, I'm not sure i can take her tomorrow. I might break down in the waiting room. Mark's fully booked Friday, so you think it'll be ok for next week?

I am afraid I dont understand as I dont know what you are referring to :cry:

Aww hun.

Mischa would want you to take Mini to be looked after. Just because his body isn't with you, he's still watching over Mini and you.

I know today is going to be hard, what with it being 3 months today, but perhaps it would be ideal to take her, to show Mischa how strong you are :)

Huge massive hugs. :love:

It's ok. I was really struggling last night and being daft. I'm just getting ready to go now.

It's ok. I was really struggling last night and being daft. I'm just getting ready to go now.

Not daft at all *bops on head with blow up mallet* i can really understand, its an emotive thing :)

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Thanks Gray. :)

She has a small spur, very small. I couldn't have her put under today, I just couldn't so she's on metacam. There's a chance it may resolve itself as its so small. Got another appt next Thurs to see how it's going.

I had a niggle about her hip too and Mark reckons she probably has some arthritis due to the past dislocation and the cold so another reason to have her on metacam.

Last edited:
Thanks Gray. :)

She has a small spur, very small. I couldn't have her put under today, I just couldn't so she's on metacam. There's a chance it may resolve itself as its so small. Got another appt next Thurs to see how it's going.

I had a niggle about her hip too and Mark reckons she probably has some arthritis due to the past dislocation and the cold so another reason to have her on metacam.

Sounds like a good plan, nothing wrong with a little delaying, we often have to dose Ginger up as i can't get her in for a dental on the day or the day after, so edging it out for a couple of days is plausible and as you say, metacam should help with her hip displacement :)

As you say, if you keep her on the metacam she may wear the spur down herself from munching on hay and forage, perhaps push this as much as possible for the next week?

I'd hug you if i was there, today must be quite a toughy for you. :wave:

Not exactly where I wanted to be, no! She eats masses of hay but its not very stalky at the moment. Going to give her some Timothy as that's quite stalky. I have a lot going on this week as well so on a purely practical note its better. Plus there's the bond, though the way Mini and Nutmeg are squished together you'd think they'd been together for years :lol:

Not exactly where I wanted to be, no! She eats masses of hay but its not very stalky at the moment. Going to give her some Timothy as that's quite stalky. I have a lot going on this week as well so on a purely practical note its better. Plus there's the bond, though the way Mini and Nutmeg are squished together you'd think they'd been together for years :lol:

Now there are 5 works i never thought i'd see, but have a heart that melts at seeing it :love:

You know them better than anyone :)

ff239d3dc544351fff8c392aa60924fd.jpg

I wasn't holding them, just keeping my hand warm :oops:

What a pair those girls are! As a slightly different angle to the eye licking, I read once that girl buns do a lot of the burrow digging and the boys clean their eyes for them. It could just be a coincidence that her eye is sore. I was researching it because Floppy cleans all his girls' eyes diligently, past and present.

Hope the metacam helps and she is ok over the weekend.

What a pair those girls are! As a slightly different angle to the eye licking, I read once that girl buns do a lot of the burrow digging and the boys clean their eyes for them. It could just be a coincidence that her eye is sore. I was researching it because Floppy cleans all his girls' eyes diligently, past and present.

Hope the metacam helps and she is ok over the weekend.

Sorry Ali I missed this. Yes I remember reading that too. He does tend to do it quite a bit with both girls though I haven't noticed it so much the past few days.

I've got an appointment this afternoon as I'm running out of Metacam. Her eyes haven't been wet at all but she does seem to be drinking more though I'm not having to fill up the bowl any more than usual so maybe it's because I'm more aware of it.

I'm REALLY hoping the few days on metacam have done the trick and she's been eating on that side and worn down the spur. I've given her one or two crunchies as they're quite hard I thought it's possible they might help a little. And some Timothy hay which is a little stalkier than the baled.

Last edited:
Back