• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dufophen and lumps on injection sites

saschofield

New Kit
Hi,

I have been reading these posts for ages and have finally got around to registering. My brave boy salt (dwarf lop) has had issues from day 1. I got him from a rescue centre with his sister Pepper. Pepper died very suddenly not long after getting her, we don't know why. Salt is affected by the pasturella bacteria. He has frequent ear infections that are very hard to clear up. He has had a number of surgical procedures including having his ear canal opened to allow easier administration of drops and to make the inner ear a dryer environment. He also has to have treatment regular for malocclusion.

I am now very used to medicating him and my wonderful vet is dedicated to him and is very rabbit savvy indeed.

He has recently had his teeth done again and 1 extracted, his gum is sore so vet has had me start dufophen injections. We are rotating the areas jabbed, ie. scruff area and rump etc but he keeps getting lumps come up. They don't seem to bother him, and the last lot were removed and found to be benign. Have any others got any idea why this happens? I am also treating for a ear infection again at the moment too. I have managed to keep him eating through this bout, and he has so far only lost 3 grams.

I love my boy so much but he is a very expensive bunny, nearly £4000 in last 2 years, it is a worry lol

Both my bunnies live indoors with us in a large uncaged area dedicated to them.

Thanks for reading this very long winded post :)

All the best everyone and your bunnies xx

Hi,

I have been reading these posts for ages and have finally got around to registering. My brave boy salt (dwarf lop) has had issues from day 1. I got him from a rescue centre with his sister Pepper. Pepper died very suddenly not long after getting her, we don't know why. Salt is affected by the pasturella bacteria. He has frequent ear infections that are very hard to clear up. He has had a number of surgical procedures including having his ear canal opened to allow easier administration of drops and to make the inner ear a dryer environment. He also has to have treatment regular for malocclusion.

I am now very used to medicating him and my wonderful vet is dedicated to him and is very rabbit savvy indeed.

He has recently had his teeth done again and 1 extracted, his gum is sore so vet has had me start dufophen injections. We are rotating the areas jabbed, ie. scruff area and rump etc but he keeps getting lumps come up. They don't seem to bother him, and the last lot were removed and found to be benign. Have any others got any idea why this happens? I am also treating for a ear infection again at the moment too. I have managed to keep him eating through this bout, and he has so far only lost 3 grams.

I love my boy so much but he is a very expensive bunny, nearly £4000 in last 2 years, it is a worry lol

Parsley aslo has these lumps - we tested one and then just ignored them. Apparently it is fairly common - I seem to recall it happens in males more for some reason.

Lumps at injection sites are often an immflamatory response to the injection however penicillin (which is what is in Duphapen) is supposed to only be injected deep into muscle so if you are injecting into the scruff or subcutaneously elsewhere this could well be causing the problem. Have you tried oral dosing? It's quite unusual to treat a bun with penicillin as a starting point, did your vet try other antibiotics (baytril or septrin) first?

Lumps at injection sites are often an immflamatory response to the injection however penicillin (which is what is in Duphapen) is supposed to only be injected deep into muscle so if you are injecting into the scruff or subcutaneously elsewhere this could well be causing the problem. Have you tried oral dosing? It's quite unusual to treat a bun with penicillin as a starting point, did your vet try other antibiotics (baytril or septrin) first?

You cannot oral dose penicillin in rabbits. In order to lessen the issues they injections are usually placed in alternate muscle areas - left then right etc

It sounds as though the OP has tried the 'usual' abx first - reading between the lines - ear infection can lead to infections elsewhere and usually a rabbit that has got as far as an ear op. will have tried all sorts of abx.

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE PENICILLIN ORALLY !! It would be FATAL to do so :cry:

OP, Duphopen can be given subcutaneously, IM injections can be extremely painful.

What size needle are you using and do you use a new needle to inject from the one used to draw up the dose ?

Do you use Trinity Vets in Maidstone by any chance ?

OP, Duphopen can be given subcutaneously, IM injections can be extremely painful.

What size needle are you using and do you use a new needle to inject from the one used to draw up the dose ?

I meant other oral antibiotics orally, not the penicillin, hence why I went straight on to talk about septrin and baytril. Sorry to cause panic! :oops:

Mark at Trinity did the major ear op, he is great...my own vet who knows Mark is also very good, Mark is my port of call when treatment not working so well. He has been on oral Baytril for a while, vet switched to Duphopen last week subcutaneous to try and reduce gum inflammation. He also has ciloxan ear drops 2 times a day and 5kg Dog Metacam 1 time daily. He is 2.81kg at the moment.

I am relieved to hear the lumps not an issue, I am loath to have to have them removed again. The vet draws up all the syringes for me and attaches needles. I just have to point and jab. The needles are 21Gx5/8".

Thanks everyone for the replies I am delighted to have found some support for my poor boy and my poor nerves lol

Ugh more lumps

Hi,

Well he needs a few more injections and vet isn't too concerned about lumps from injection but I am really stressing. He is quite lumpy on shoulder area and rump area, I am a bit squeamish about injecting near these lumps but am running out of unlumpy space.

Well he needs a few more injections and vet isn't too concerned about lumps from injection but I am really stressing. He is quite lumpy on shoulder area and rump area, I am a bit squeamish about injecting near these lumps but am running out of unlumpy space.

Usually our vets alternate between left and right 'flanks' so to speak. If you are getting a lot of lumps might be worth asking vet whether they think it might be connected to your 'technique'?

We get the vets to do Parsleys (he is now back on it as well!!) as I am rubbish with the penicillin jabs - ok with everything else but just cant get this in!

Usually our vets alternate between left and right 'flanks' so to speak. If you are getting a lot of lumps might be worth asking vet whether they think it might be connected to your 'technique'?

We get the vets to do Parsleys (he is now back on it as well!!) as I am rubbish with the penicillin jabs - ok with everything else but just cant get this in!

Vet watched me do it Friday and said it was fine. I have emailed Mark at Trinity too to ask, I worry so much over Salt. The lumps are also making it difficult to lift his skin to be able to inject. He is having the jab every other day.

Vet watched me do it Friday and said it was fine. I have emailed Mark at Trinity too to ask, I worry so much over Salt. The lumps are also making it difficult to lift his skin to be able to inject. He is having the jab every other day.

That many lumps does sound extreme - Parsley has his every day and is not covered in lumps - just has maybe 10 or or from over the course of his life.

Back