• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it possible to train rabbit when to sleep?

denla

Warren Scout
I mean keeping it awake when the rabbit wants to sleep and only letting the rabbit sleep when you sleep. Anyone tried doing this yet?

Perhaps some constructive advice would be better than plain old criticism guys. ;):D

You could probably alter their sleep pattern a little by keeping them more active at other times of the day (rather than keeping them awake when they don't want to be) but they tend to be most active at dusk and dawn and it's just one of those bunny things.

Why are you looking at altering the sleep pattern? If we know why, people might be able to suggest other suitable alternatives that are more likely to work and that bunny will also be happier with? :D

Last edited:
I hope you're not trying this!

Doughnut seems to just have short naps throughout the day and I guess she does this at night too, in between eating. I would never wake her up when I'm around during the day to "entertain" me. Rabbits are normally more active at dusk and dawn.

I've owned bunnies for many years and cared for other peoples' bunnies for the past ten years. Their sleep patterns have never been a problem. Quite the opposite tbh. It fits perfectly in with my day.

Please don't try to change your rabbit's sleep patterns.

Rabbits are crepuscular (sp?) which means that they are most active at dawn and dusk so it would be unfair to try and change their natural activity patterns.

Perhaps some constructive advice would be better than plain old criticism guys. ;):D

You could probably alter their sleep pattern a little by keeping them more active at other times of the day (rather than keeping them awake when they don't want to be) but they tend to be most active at dusk and dawn and it's just one of those bunny things.

Why are you looking at altering the sleep pattern? If we know why, people might be able to suggest other suitable alternatives that are more likely to work and that bunny will also be happier with? :D

Sorry Karen, not to start a fight, but what kind of constructive advice can you give to someone who says "have you tried keeping your rabbit awake when it wants to sleep and vice versa?"

I asked a question and stated my opinion, we're still allowed to do that, right?

Just waiting for the OP to actually answer before i made further comments.

:wave:

My bunnies sleep when they want, eat when they want (well...hay anytime!) and run around like loonies anytime they want. I wouldn't have it any other way :love:

I don't understand why you would want / need to do this... but I would imagine that a: it'd be very difficult (near enough impossible) to do and b: they'd become very stressed by it and end up poorly.

Rabbits are naturally more active and dawn and dusk - mine sleep almost all day and wake up properly at about 8pm, but we let them out at 6pm but its like when we first wake up, we're up but cba to do anything lol

I'm concerned that you would be asking this question and I'm interested in why your asking, it's not something I would ever contemplate as they will sleep when they want to and play when they want to

Sorry Karen, not to start a fight, but what kind of constructive advice can you give to someone who says "have you tried keeping your rabbit awake when it wants to sleep and vice versa?"

It's possible to give constructive advice without it being an insult at the same time - I managed to (hopefully) say pretty much the same as you did but without the insult and the negative "What on earth are you thinking of....." tone. Rather than everybody just stating the OP was cruel, which was the way it was heading, I think it's better to open up the conversation and we can then look at why the OP is asking the question and look at ways to help - rather than making her feel stupid or awful for asking the question and possibly scaring her away.

Why would you even consider that, its downright cruel? :? :(

It's pretty much the same as the information in the form rules re. the subject.

Tone of Posts
The forum should be a supportive place to visit. It is possible to disagree with something without turning it into an insult. Sometimes it's not what you say but how you are saying it that causes a problem. For example, if someone is feeding their rabbit in a way you consider bad you could say:

"Why are you feeding your rabbit that rubbish? You should have done more research and fed it this instead. You better change it quickly before your rabbit dies."
Or

"Have you thought about swapping to pellets? Quite a few forum members feed these as they have more fibre so are better for their gut."

I've always found rabbits sleeping patterns are good for me, because I have free time in the morning and evening and am busy during the day. trying to train them otherwise wouldn't be nice I don't think :?

I mean keeping it awake when the rabbit wants to sleep and only letting the rabbit sleep when you sleep. Anyone tried doing this yet?

Sorry, don't understand why we would wish to change the natural sleep pattern of our rabbits. Perhaps you could explain?

The only thing I can think of would be temporary. Ie. if I bring something new into their room at snooze time they wake up and get excited but after a while they will snooze again. Or in summer, when they go out in the grass it usually ends up being mid afternoon, they'll run around a bit and then snooze in the sun. It's a bit like expecting a hamster to be active in the daytime, it's not natural so it's not really going to happen!

It's possible to give constructive advice without it being an insult at the same time - I managed to (hopefully) say pretty much the same as you did but without the insult and the negative "What on earth are you thinking of....." tone. Rather than everybody just stating the OP was cruel, which was the way it was heading, I think it's better to open up the conversation and we can then look at why the OP is asking the question and look at ways to help - rather than making her feel stupid or awful for asking the question and possibly scaring her away.

It's pretty much the same as the information in the form rules re. the subject.

But the internet is an extension of a communications medium, i talk on here how i talk in real life, in any situation.

The OP should understand how others would feel about it, not be molly coddled.

Sorry, i guess we aren't going to agree on this.

Apparently not with the amount of warnings I've got this year.

:thumb: :lol:

I often hate it when people "attack" a TS, because they can't know circumstances, but in this case, the question is so upsetting, it's hard not to spit harsh comments.

I asked the OP why she or we would wish to do this, but no response.

I really cannot understand the reasoning behind trying to change a natural sleep pattern.

I can see why this post has attracted 'negative' responses.

I assume the OP is inexperienced with rabbits rather than intending to be knowingly cruel.

For example when I was younger and was getting a hamster (10yrs ago) I read lots of books on hamster care and many said that it was fine to wake your hamster during the day so it slept more at night.

Back