• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scooter cage.

shadow05

Mama Doe
Hiya everybody,

i know its been a while scooter is now 3 years old, god time flyes. anyways ill get down to bussiness ive just moved back in with my mom after breaking up with the bf. scooter is perfectly fine. where just hving some major chewing problems. ive had to stick him back in his orginaly cage over nite because hes done that much damage. im wanting to get him sorted before i but my bed this week. ive still not settled in yet.

what i wanted to ask is that i need a very durable floor. im thinking laminate/lino and wood. But my problem is what type of wood is best and wont be a risk to scooter and his chewy ways.

We are having to get the badly chewed carpet replaced soon. I am going for laminate. I would have thought a well fitted laminate would be difficult to damage. Make sure the edges are sealed, then there would be nothing Scooter could nibble at.

If its already badly damaged,I would let him out, its not going to make much difference now.

Hope you both settle back down at your mums soon.

Laminate :) It's slippy so have some cheap rugs or something. We have rugs and blankets for Poppy but she still hops over the laminate bits :roll:

its just the carpet in his cage but because ive just moved in my old bedrooms still not sorted yet and it wud be dangerous for him in there at moment. so if u use laminate then it doesnt matter wat wood i use underneath would it? im also putting a secound level in as well. my only choices are hardwood or mdf.

Not wood whatever you do. Once a bunny pisses on the wood it'll smell forever.

Laminate is sealed. I have had 3 indoor buns, 2 are outside now, there have had the odd accident in the hallway where the laminate is and it is very easy to wipe off and it doesn't penetrate the floor.

Both bedroom carpets are stained from one of the bunnies urine, that has been impossible to remove.

its just the carpet in his cage but because ive just moved in my old bedrooms still not sorted yet and it wud be dangerous for him in there at moment. so if u use laminate then it doesnt matter wat wood i use underneath would it? im also putting a secound level in as well. my only choices are hardwood or mdf.

So the damage is only in his cage. Get lino, its much cheaper.

I wouldn't buy MDF the chemicals are not good if he chews it. If its a risk to humans then it is a risk to rabbits. I have a problem with my bunny trying to chew the wardrobe doors which are MDF. They are built in so not alot we can do.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-health-risks-of-mdf.htm

so if im making a secound level wont i hve to rap it in laminate to make sure he doesnt chew it. if i put some stairs on for him wat shall i make them out of?

Make sure any lino is non slip :) Laminate is really slippery so you'd need something on top and I'm sure I remember someone saying about it bowing after wee got through the cracks.

Back