• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what do you use for litter?

nori

Young Bun
Im currently using wood pellets with hay on top but i keep hearing megazorb mentioned. What do you use and why? I need something which absorbs smell as its for indoor bunnies and something cheap.

I have indoor bunnies and just use a couple of newspapers and a load of hay and change every other day or every day. It doesn't smell of anything other than hay. Wood cat pellets are good but I found them expensive and heavy to carry, plus I was always a bit concerned about them eating it. Megazorb is good too but doesn't compost so well as we tend to just turn everything out into the compost (excluding newspaper). I also worried about then eating that as well, newspaper you can see quite easily if they start to chew it.

our house bunny had the very cheap clay litter , 99p a bag, nothing wrong with it , works fine. However we have recently gone a bit upmarket and now use the wood pellets . Its a bit more expensive but you can buy mahoosive bags , it holds the smell in better , we easily get two months out of a 30 litre bag from pets@H

Hi nori, it's me (Lindsey ;)).

I use megazorb...it's like wood pulp stuff, and is very cheap for the amount you get (it's about £8 for an 80 litre bag). It's super absorbent too. It doesn't really have a smell, but as long as it's changed frequently it doesn't smell nasty. I use the wooden pellets like you if I run out of megazorb, because I can get that in the shop just down the road but it's much more expensive than megazorb, so I much prefer the megazorb.

I get it from Frosbury farm in Guildford, but you should be able to pick it up in any horse supplies place. You can also buy it online from The Hay Experts, but I think delivery might make it quite expensive then.

Plastic litter tray. Newspaper/paper on the bottom. Leftover hay on top. When the hay rack doesn't get eaten I clean out the litter tray and use that hay instead. Only smells of hay. No smells, and I'm cleaning litter tray every other day or three days when I'm lazy.

Back