• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with diarrhoea

Del3165

New Kit
My rabbit has been suffering from diarrhoea on and off for a few months. When she doesn't have diarrhoea her poos are half the normal size. The poo will start clumping around her bottom, where we then need to clean her. This seems to be an on going cycle where we think she is getting better then the diarrhoea starts. Took her to the vet who prescribed carbon power, twice a day for seven days to "bulk her up". Looking on the web has anyone ever heard of giving a rabbit carbon power, which is very difficult to give. She eats normal and drinks plenty of water.

Is it true diarrhoea or excess cecals? What's her diet like? Too many pellets or too much veg can cause excess cecals. I don't think I've heard of carbon powder, sorry.

Is it splatty poo or proper liquid diarrhoea? It sounds like it's more splatty poo which is often diet related or can be caused by poor mobility due to being overweight or some other health issue such as arthritis. Teeth issues can also be a factor.

For diet she needs to have around 80-90% of her diet to be good quality hay, replenished twice a day. Then a small amount of pellets, roughly two tablespoons. If you feed too many pellets then she wont eat her hay so just a small amount is best. She can also have some leafy vegetables, I tend to stick to foraged things like dandelions and brambles as I find these less likely to set it off in my rabbit. Sweet foods such as carrot and fruit are too sugary and can cause this too so avoid those other than as a very rare treat. My Mini rabbit gets cecal dysbiosis (sticky bum) and she only gets a tiny bit of apple about once a month.

If you're doing all these things then I'd be back at the vets, or even ask on here for a recommendation for a rabbit savvy vet and take her along to them for them to have a look.

Back