• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites whats normal ???

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
Hi all

just wondered if anyone can help me with regards Gizmo's mites outbreak . He has had the jabs, the last of which was over a week ago, and yet on brushing him today it still looks like he has severe dandruff. :shock: i got covered in it.

Is there anything i should do to help him or is it a case of the dandruff will settle on its own. Does he need to go back to the vets?

Hope someone can help me for Gizmo's sake

Gizmo was given two injections twelve days apart , he had it once before when his mites got bad after a dental. So I don't think it's a reaction but I will brush him again this evening and if he is still showing bad sign of dandruff I will book him into the vets tomorrow. I will update you as we go on

My late bun "RIO" had mites once,two injections to kill them off.I asked how come he caught mites as he was a total house rabbit,the vet stated they can come in on the hay.She recommended freezing the hay for 24 hours prior to giving it to the rabbits.His skin was a bit scurffy at the site of the mites ,it was mostly on the back of his neck.

Last edited:
My late bun "RIO" had mites once,two injections to kill them off.I asked how come he caught mites as he was a total house rabbit,the vet stated they can come in on the hay.She recommended freezing the hay for 24 hours prior to giving it to the rabbits.His skin was a bit scurffy at the site of the mites ,it was mostly on the back of his neck.

That is interesting, as we buy fresh bales of hay, so well worth giving that a try . Thank you.
Gizmo has lost all the fur on his neck but the skin there looks fine. It's the rest of his back and body that looks like he has a bad case of dandruff. When we brush him (which we have to do due to the angora in him) we get covered. I have checked under a magnifying glass and nothing is moving. But I just think he shouldn't still be like this if the injections have worked.

If it is the hay, how come my other three rabbits don't have any problems with mites? Alex lives with gizmo and her coat is black and glossy , and the other two have beautiful winter think coats now. I assume that if it is the hay. Gizmo is more sensitive to it because of his recent stress that's made him susceptible to it?

Not sure, maybe you have "caught it" before the mites spread to the other buns? Rio's wifey bun Cleo did not get them although she snuggled and groomed him all the time.Alas she has gone too,I miss them both.

Not sure, maybe you have "caught it" before the mites spread to the other buns? Rio's wifey bun Cleo did not get them although she snuggled and groomed him all the time.Alas she has gone too,I miss them both.

Yes I think you are right. As me and OH are very observant with the bunnies and get them treated pronto so that is probably what it is . Alex had the first jab at the same time as gizmo as a precaution so that would be why she didn't get them. Sorry to hear your buns have gone to rainbow bridge :cry:

I will let you know how gizmo gets on. Do you know of anything I can do to help him now at home. My vet is on holiday till Monday so I am trying to think of things I can do to help him. Unless it is something life threatening I don't like to take the bunnies to any other vet . Jane (our vet) is a bunny mummy herself and even bonded gizmo and Alex for us in her own time for free. She is so good with the bunnies. Even though we are entitled to get free vet treatment due to being on benefits for my health problems , we still pay to see a good rabbit savy vet

Not sure you can do much if the jabs are taking effect,the mites can irritate the skin and some buns maybe get more irritated by them than others.

If it is the hay, how come my other three rabbits don't have any problems with mites? Alex lives with gizmo and her coat is black and glossy , and the other two have beautiful winter think coats now. I assume that if it is the hay. Gizmo is more sensitive to it because of his recent stress that's made him susceptible to it?

We find that the rabbits with lower immunity tend to suffer re-current bouts of mites, whilst their healthier partners often remain mite free.

It will be something that Gizmo will probably be more susceptible to, and so long as you can try and keep on top of it as soon as it re-occurs he should be ok.

My Oscar suffers from re-current bouts, whilst my other 9 remain mite free, even his wifey bun remains clear. I know that he gets more miserable with mites, so its something I'm always on the look out for.

Back