• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Depocillin Dose

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
We may be going the way of Depocillin so my vet has asked me to research, and will do the same, so, to you people who have used Depocillin, how often did you inject, how much (weight of bunny if it's a specific amount as opposed to a generic dose) and any problems you've had with it?

Also, does anyone have any links to literature about it? My googling skills are failing me.

One dental abscess bun was on 0.28ml depocillin twice a week for 18 months or so. Weighed 2.4kg. All from memory, but he was weighed weekly so it stuck.

Other abscesses on different bunnies responded with similar treatment over a few weeks / months.

After a major op, dental bun was given daily injections at home for a week.

Dudley weighs 1.3kg and he has 0.2ml for upper respiratory infection - every other day for the first two weeks and now every 3rd day.

Oh and no, I've had no problems with it. It is far, far easier to give drawn straight up from the bottle rather than pre-filled syringes though, so if your vet will allow you to buy a whole bottle, that would make it much easier to give, as it goes gloopy quickly when taken from the bottle.

Also in the event of it causing gut problems, metronidazole (to kill the clostridium in the gut which is usually the cause) and questran (to mop up toxins) can both be used, so it's worth checking that your vet has these in stock or can get them very quickly if necessary. As belt and braces you could give probiotics and feed a good diet low in sugar (I'm sure you do anyway) to minimise the risks of gut disturbance. And finally, very very important not to get any on the fur so if any of it does leak out, it needs very thorough cleaning off to prevent bunny or pals from ingesting it, as that could be fatal.

Good luck x x

Thanks Santa :)

We're currently using Crystapen injections (another kind of penicillin- given every day, he's been having them two weeks now and has had no problems at all- thankfully) but there has been some troubles getting it from the suppliers, so we're looking at other options just in case. I have metronidazole here for anorher bunny, but will definitely ask about Questran too, if we do go for this. I currently buy this by the vial so my vet may be comfortable with me having a bottle, but I would have to ask.

And yes, we have had the odd leakage (or misfire). So the cleaning thing is something I'm already doing.

Thanks so much for your help :)

Dill has been on 0.26ml (2.1kg bunny usually) ranging from every 2 days to every 4 days for 3-4 months now for infection in his lungs. We make sure he has a pro-biotic as well.

Thanks Santa for the info on Metronidazole and Questran - will remember to check that the vets have it in! Our vet was very nervous about giving us depocillin as she's lost a bun of her own to the side effects, but we were out of other options.

Grim was on it for yonks. He's on Norocillin now because it doesn't need to be kept in the fridge (good for two reasons, my OH is allergic to it and it was with his food and it doesn't clog up the syringe so much). He's always been on about 0.6ml for a 3kg bunny, but as he's on it so long term he's now on the minimum dose which is 0.44ml. He has it every three days.

Back