• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nodular myxi ? coincidence

willowflower27

Mama Doe
My rabbit has been off colour for few weeks and bloods showed she was fighting a infection but not any outward signs, however last night this am swollen eyes,genitals snotty nose etc not eating drinking so straight to vets put on drip pain relief etc and vet has diagnosed nodular myxo. Said he has had a few cases recently all vaccinated with the new combi vaccine is this just a coincidence?
She has been an outdoor bun up until 3 months ago but has been inside since then I've been reading all the other posts recently on nodular myxo am just so panicky at minute as she went down hill in few hours really also other silly question will her insurance pay for this as its a preventable disease?
Many thanks

I have to make the decision in next couple of weeks whether to get the new or the old for mine this time, and im hearing alot of stories like yours :( im scared.

It's just seems so strange shes been outside with a high wild bunny population for last 3 years no problem with old vaccine I bring her inside get new vaccine and she gets nodular myxi probably totally unrelated but It has set me to wondering. Right now she's quite poorly

I really hope she gets better soon... I was wondering whether its because the new vaccine gives them a small dose of myxo.... so its catching them off guard kinda thing, I dunno, it just seems to be happening alot.

Sending vibes and hoping for a speedy recovery x

If she was up to date with her vaccinations then she should be covered by the insurance. When was she vaccinated?

She was vaccinated at the end of July and was all up to date before that so I assumed it was covered by insurance but i honestly didnt know just know her bill is quite expensive already

Back