• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay Aftercare: Is my Bunny ok?

hazelsmummy

New Kit
Hi, I am new to posting on this website but in the past I have found absolutely invaluable advice from other posters on here so firstly a big thank you!

After a lot of consideration, and at least one phantom pregnancy, I decided it was time to get Hazel spayed. This all happened last tuesday 2/10/12
Although we had to feed her once with a syringe she quickly perked up and was eating and drinking perfectly well. She is still eating and drinking fine but she seems uncomfortable, fidgety and sleepy a lot of the time, she's grinding her teeth and I've noticed that her skin is very dry and flaky on her tummy.
I am new to owning a bunny and would really appreciate any advice you guys could give me and clarification as to whether this is normal behaviour or whether I should get her checked over, she hates going to the vets and being pulled about so if she's ok I'd rather not put her through the stress of a trip to the nasty old vets! haha

Lucy

Grinding teeth is a sign of pain. Has she been giving oral pain relief for you to administer at home?

I read that grinding teeth could mean she's in pain but she's still hopping about and before she was spayed she would grind her teeth so wasn't sure if she was in pain or just doing it out of habit, its a quiet occasional grinding not loud or constant.

And yes, I was instructed to give her oral pain meds for two/three days after surgery but I gave her them for four days as the nurse said it would be ok to give her an extra days worth if I felt she needed it- and I didn't want her to be in pain to be honest so thought it would be better to give her it for the max time she could have it.

Welcome to the site :) Hopefully what you're describing may be a 'tooth purr' then, or equally, she may have some other problem going on. You've done the right thing by giving meds (and your vets have also done the right thing- well done them), too many people don't give follow up pain meds. Hopefully she is recovering well :)

Rabbits hide their pain as they're prey animals, so hopping about as much as possible, even tho they may be in pain - have you got any oral meds left?

My rupert got neutered the week we reserved him at rspca and his wound got infected, and his skin got a little dry, could you pop her to the vet just incase she needs a bit of antibiotics?

Hope she's ok and welcome to the forum xx

Yes of course, taking her to the vet is not a problem, i just know I tend to over worry about her (she's my baby!) and i didn't want to cause her any undue stress if it wasn't really necessary :)
Thanks for all your advice I'll keep you updated

:wave: Your vet won't (or shouldn't!) mind you calling for advice or reassurance if you are worried or bunny doesn't seem right. You know your bun and if she doesn't seem right then give them a ring :thumb:

Hi guys, back from the vets.
Turns out she has an infection probably where she's been naughty and licked her tummy when I haven't been looking! The vet gave us some antiseptic fluid and some cream to soothe her flaky skin but he rubbed all her dead skin off and made her tummy bleed! i know it probably has to be done but not very nice to see :(
anyway any aftercare advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks once more for your good advice

She seems to be more uncomfortable than ever but i'm guessing the antiseptic and silver cream are making it hurt a bit more. Any advice on how to stop her licking her tummy? and does anybody know if, now that shes got the antiseptic wash and cream, she can safely lick that?

**update**

Thanks again for all your advice, Hazel is doing loads better and is back to her naughty self, chewing up the sofa and the carpet! haha
Her tummy, while still a bit scabby, looks so much better and she isn't fidgety at all, and only grinds her teeth when I give her her daily Bunny Massage :)
phew! Such a relief to see her feeling better!
I think people think "it's just a rabbit" when i say anything to 'non-rabbity' people about how worried I was. Does anyone else come across this nonchalance?

Thanks again for all your advice, Hazel is doing loads better and is back to her naughty self, chewing up the sofa and the carpet! haha
Her tummy, while still a bit scabby, looks so much better and she isn't fidgety at all, and only grinds her teeth when I give her her daily Bunny Massage :)
I think people think "it's just a rabbit" when i say anything to 'non-rabbity' people about how worried I was. Does anyone else come across this nonchalance?

I think quite a few people at my work think this, especially when I took a few days off when Doughnut had her spay and also when she was ill. I lost weight worrying as she's my baby. My friends at work understand but think my boss probably thinks I'm mad. I know if anything happened to her I would need time off to grieve as would be very teary. Some people would understand that,others won't but everyone on here would!

Confession time... never having had a rabbit, I was one of the 'non rabbity' people you mention,
however now I have my own bunny. I cant imagine how horrible it'd be to see your bunny suffer..

I worry about mine looking sad!!,

Fee xxx

Haha luckily my boss is absolutely lovely and gets it, and as i'm a sales rep my job is reasonably flexible so i've been able to work around Hazel for the moment. But I was getting a lot of negative reactions from other people if I mentioned how worried I was...It's just hard not to get annoyed with ignorance haha. We don't have babies, so our bun is our baby, and a bit of understanding I think wouldn't go amiss! Also, when you look at how many Bunnies get abandoned or given away or let loose in the wild because of irresponsible or, let's face it, heartless owners I think caring for your pets as much as we do is, quite frankly, commendable.
Before I got Hazel I was a little naive, as many people are, and I didn't realise the time and expense that goes into caring for a rabbit, but she is part of our family and I would give my last penny and live off beans on toast if I needed to to care for her and I'm sure most people on here would say the same :)
this is why i LOVE this forum :) and the advice is indispensable!

Back