• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tummy Buns-Persuading Vet To Give Meds/Do Tests?

sonnet

Alpha Buck
I know some owners of buns that are prone to bouts of tummy problems (bloat/stasis/gas etc) have tummy meds 'on standby' at home (metaclopromide/zantac etc) to use if they see their rabbits exhibiting typical tummy problem symptoms, but how do you persuade your Vet to give them to you?
All I have on standby is Infacol & Fibreplex and as my rabbit has had yet another tummy blip (his 4th in the last 3 months :( no obvious cause, all veges removed from diet) it would be a great help if I had meds to hand.

Also, for those that have buns with recurrent tummy issues when is the right time to ask for extra testing to be done in order to discount any underlying causes? What tests do I ask for & would his insurance cover them?
When I've mentioned it previously to the Vet I just get told 'tummy problems are common due to their complicated digestive system' :roll:

I've got an appointment with the rabbit savvy Vet on Thursday & I don't want to get fobbed off when I mention meds or tests-please can anyone offer some advice as I don't want to be made to feel awkward just because I want what is best for my rabbit!

One stressed bunny mummy :oops:

Last edited:
With regards to medication it is not always appropriate to administer gut motility meds. If the abdominal pain was due to an obstruction gut motility meds would make things much worse. So it is understandable that a Vet may not agree to a supply being kept at home unless the Vet is confident that the owner is able to be a sure as they can be when it is or is not appropriate to administer them.

A small supply of pain relief may be something a Vet would be happy to allow you to have.

As far as diagnostics go, what has been done so far ? What are the symptoms exactly ?

We have a very good relationship with our vet and given the number of bunnies we had and how quickly we got them to the vet when they were unwell, he was more than willing to let us have stuff on hand at home as the emergency vets is quite a trip for us. We simply asked to purchase a bottle of metacam and small bottle of empermid (spelling?) which is a gut motility agent and noted down the corret dosage for each of them.

I think it got to about the third/fourth time with Harley when we asked for blood to be taken and a full body x-ray to be done - he was under GA anyway has he did have some spurs on his teeth that the vets filed down in case it was contributing to his bouts of stasis. Vets can check the teeth without GA using a scope of some description. Harley's tests did all come back negative, however, we did increase the amount of space that he had to run around in - we bought him an indoor pen and allowed him free range of the box room.

As for the insurance you will have to check your policy/with the company as to whether or not they'd cover the treatment.

With regards to medication it is not always appropriate to administer gut motility meds. If the abdominal pain was due to an obstruction gut motility meds would make things much worse. So it is understandable that a Vet may not agree to a supply being kept at home unless the Vet is confident that the owner is able to be a sure as they can be when it is or is not appropriate to administer them.
A small supply of pain relief may be something a Vet would be happy to allow you to have.
As far as diagnostics go, what has been done so far ? What are the symptoms exactly ?

Yes, that's a good point.
Symptom-wise: he displays typical gi discomfort symptoms-doesn't eat, lays out of stomach, either very limited poos/no poos/or a toothpaste-like smelly poo and then nothing.
Upon feel Vet says he is bloated. It is always put down to bloat. When I question if it was stasis they tell me bloat/stasis tend to lap over each other ie one can cause the other so they have been putting bloat down on my insurance forms.
The strange thing is he is 3.5 years old, has never had tum problems before & now has had 4 in 3 months, hence why I'm wondering about bloods etc.
After the 3rd bout I cut all veges from diet and replaced them with herbs/leaves that had been recommended for tummies and this last bout was definately no where as bad as previous times (when he has had to be put on a drip-1st time, or kept in overnight).

We have a very good relationship with our vet and given the number of bunnies we had and how quickly we got them to the vet when they were unwell, he was more than willing to let us have stuff on hand at home as the emergency vets is quite a trip for us. We simply asked to purchase a bottle of metacam and small bottle of empermid (spelling?) which is a gut motility agent and noted down the corret dosage for each of them.
I think it got to about the third/fourth time with Harley when we asked for blood to be taken and a full body x-ray to be done - he was under GA anyway has he did have some spurs on his teeth that the vets filed down in case it was contributing to his bouts of stasis. Vets can check the teeth without GA using a scope of some description. Harley's tests did all come back negative, however, we did increase the amount of space that he had to run around in - we bought him an indoor pen and allowed him free range of the box room.
As for the insurance you will have to check your policy/with the company as to whether or not they'd cover the treatment.

Thanks for your reply. That's good that your Harley had the all clear.
Dylan's teeth have been checked with the scope and were deemed absolutely fine (he's very good at letting them look with the scope). I do wonder about trying for bloods to check things but I have a feeling my Vet might fob it off :roll: So annoying as if I know there's nothing underlying then it'd put my mind at rest.
Yes I make sure he has lots of exercise-he has his own cabin so is out in any weathers.
May I ask what diet you've found works best for Harley? Dylan has had all veges cut from his diet, limited pellets, lots of hay and some herbs/dried leaves.
Yes, I will have a check through my insurance docs :thumb:

It is interesting that you raise this as I am in a similar situation. My girl has never had tummy probs (except a blockage 3-4 years ago). She lot her partner in May and went into a bad state of statis in June and was put on drip, meds and admitted. About 2 weeks ago she stopped eating again and was given Emipred, metacam and we also gave some infacol. She was quite bright in herself and pooping on this occasion. She more or less recovered and started to eat pellets within 48 hours.

Yesterday we had the same problem, bright but being fussy on what she was eating and she was pooping albeit darker. Bright in herself, eating grass, moving around. Last night we gave her infacol and some metacam and she did pick up a little. She is eating kale, herbs, carrot tops, hay, critical care but no pro-fibre pellets or her Oxbow pellets.

Now this could be that she had her myxi last week as she did have a similar reaction last time but I am of the same view as you that if things continue I will book her in for some tests or is this something we just have to deal with in the future and have meds in, although there is a risk in self diagnosing. Her teeth do have a couple of spurs on so maybe she needs a dental (vet did not think it was this but did not rule it out either)

Thanks for your reply. That's good that your Harley had the all clear.
Dylan's teeth have been checked with the scope and were deemed absolutely fine (he's very good at letting them look with the scope). I do wonder about trying for bloods to check things but I have a feeling my Vet might fob it off :roll: So annoying as if I know there's nothing underlying then it'd put my mind at rest.
Yes I make sure he has lots of exercise-he has his own cabin so is out in any weathers.
May I ask what diet you've found works best for Harley? Dylan has had all veges cut from his diet, limited pellets, lots of hay and some herbs/dried leaves.
Yes, I will have a check through my insurance docs :thumb:

Harley's diet consists of meadow hay (bought from the hay experts.com) he gets a generous helping on a daily basis and he gets about 40g of Excel pellets per day. As a treat he will get kale or brocolli. He tends to get fed one of these once a week as they are his favourites but I know they can be very gassy and he's always given hay with them. Over the last few months we have bonded him with one of our females and he seems much happier for it.

Back