• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccinations and spaying

CwningenBach

Warren Scout
Hello!

Can rabbits who have previously had the myxomatosis vaccine have the combined Myxo-VHD vaccine? She hasn't had the VHD vaccine at all yet. Just Myxi. I thought once they'd have the single vaccination, they couldn't have the combined one?

Secondly, is it appropriate to administer a vaccine whilst they're under anaesthetic whilst being spayed? Again, I thought it was considered best practice to wait two weeks between vaccines/procedures, however, it seems to make some sense to administer a vaccine /whilst/ being spayed if not immediately before or after.

Navi is booked in for the 29th. Already terrified... as an aspirant barrister, there must surely be someone I can sue for the emotional trauma caused by the death of Mrs Hudson! Nah. Not really. The vets were lovely after she passed.

Thanks guys, as per.

Stuart

Most vets won't vaccinate a rabbit at the same time as being neutered as they are immuno-suppressed. If you were to get the vaccination done now, considering it takes 3 weeks for it to become effective, you would still be within the 3 weeks when neutering is booked. I would have your bun vaccinated now then have her/him neutered a month later.

Back